Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 5 video time lapse not saving!!

Well I just lost a whole days worth of (rlly important to me) footage because of this. So frustrating as the screen shows that all's well, feels worse knowing that the UI lied to you about recording :(

Go Pro 5 Black, recording 1080p & using the button to record. Sandisk extreme 64gb.
Highlighted
Tourist

Highlighted
Tourist

Another thread pointed out this behaviour that might be a clue as to when it is happening:

" I've noticed when this happens the remaining memory is showing a wrong amount of space left. i.e. on my 64gb card it usually fits 2H:08M of 4k timelapse video but sometimes this shows up as 10H:24 instead and on those occassions it won't record (see photo)."

I'll try looking for this tomorrow and report back...

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Timelapse-Video-problem/td-p/57089
Highlighted
GoPro

Sounds like a plan. Let us know how it works out, @redgorge40361. Also try doing a manual update on your camera's firmware, if you haven't done so yet. You can find instructions below: 

1. Go to the Update page: HERO5 Black  
  2. Under "Other ways to update" click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your serial number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

It is important t o have the camera fully charged and that the SD card is formatted prior to the update. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I did a manual update a couple weeks ago. The problem still exists.
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @nthn2sa

If that is the case, it would be best get in touch with our Support team so they can help determine if the issue maybe related to the camera itself. I just did a a time lapse video recording on a HERO5 Black camera with firmware version 2.60 installed and there were no issues with it. I am using a Sandisk Extreme 32Gb microSD card. You can connect with the team through a phone call or chat conversation. Their contact information can be found here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks. I will do that. FYI, I tested it 4-5 times since the update, it worked about 1/2 the time.
Highlighted
Tourist

So I'm back from my trip and can confirm that the above symptom works identifies when it's happening (SD card saying it has 8-9 hours) and switching the resolution resolved the issue.

This is of course an annoying pop tocess but doubly so in the following circumstance:

When in the bike mount swiping down (from a down that is obstructed by the mount) takes at least three goes to work, then checking the tiny text in the top centre of the screen while mounted to a bike is a super akward.

Unfortunately I found that removing the GoPro from the GoPro mount to check that the SD card is reporting a correct time was the only reliable means of shooting time-lapse.

As for software updates I had only purchased the GoPro 3 days before my first post, so it was already on 2.60 and was a spectacularly unimpressive first impression of this device :|