Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 5 session very hot - do I have the optimum card?

Hi

I'm new to GoPro and noticed in the first few minutes of use my just bought Hero Session 5 that it quickly becomes too hot to touch.

I found a forum post from over a year back that suggests some SD cards may contribute to this.

I have a SanDisk Extreme 64GB A1 in it, (also has a symbol with inverted U containing 3)

Is this card Ok?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 5 session very hot - do I have the optimum card?

Thanks, I will follow your advice.

I hadn't realised formatting an SD card was a thing - will do that too.

Many thanks

Nick

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @snowybluff20380

I see that your SD card is among the recommended ones. It is not uncommon for the camera to get hot when being used, but it should not be too hot touch. Was the camera recording when you observed it to get too hot? What resolution setting was used at that time?

Was the camera being charged when you used it? Was it paired to the GoPro App? Did you get a warning on the camera? If you have not done it yet, try manually updating the camera firmware. This is even if the camera may already have the latest firmware. You can find instructions below: 

1. Go to the Update page: HERO5 Session 
  2. Under "Other ways to update" click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your serial number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system.

Make sure that the camera is fully charged and that the SD card is formatted prior to the update process. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Hey @snowybluff20380

For me, I would believe it's normal for a device to get hot quickly, even when it's not recording. I had the same issues (shooting at 1080p @ 60fps). I found a pretty good website that really explains GoPro's heated cameras. I've copied the example of the text from this website below. This text is also from the actual GoPro's instructions manual that came in the box. 

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/gopro/gopro-getting-hot/ 

**When capturing video at high resolutions or high frame rates in warm ambient temperatures, the camera may become warm and use more power.

In addition, lack of airflow around the camera and using the camera with the GoPro app further increase camera temperature and power consumption, and decrease camera recording time.

If the camera gets too hot, a message appears on the screen indicating that the camera is shutting down. 

When recording in high-performance video modes, capture shorter video clips when in stationary use, and/or limit your use of features that increase power consumption**

Reading through the text, it seems pretty ideal that such a high performance machine would heat up pretty quickly. It's just like any gaming computers or regular laptops (with high end specs) running powerful/intensive applications like video editing software like Adobe Premiere or PC games like FortNite. This also applies to many other devices like our phones (intensive games will make the phone hot). Unlike the computers and laptops, the phones and GoPro's don't have fans. There's nothing for it to cool them down. But don't worry, GoPro build a software that ensure the camera doesn't overheat itself. It will stop recording and prompt you why it's turning off and will rest.

Let me know if you need any clarification! 

Highlighted
Tourist

Ok thanks, makes sense - and I hadn't realised using the app added to the load.

Nick

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks, I will follow your advice.

I hadn't realised formatting an SD card was a thing - will do that too.

Many thanks

Nick