Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Hero 5 notworking past 20' under water

At a depth of 20 feet my camera will no longer take photos or videos. If I am in the middle of taking photos as I go below this depth it will stick and take 100s-1000s of photos, nonstop and there isn't anything that I've found I can do about it. The rating says to 10 meters, but I can't get it to work at anything below 20 feet. I am wondering if I have a bad camera? This was purchased just this past fall. 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero 5 notworking past 20' under water

@brandyf585 - It's possible that the water pressure is pressing the shutter button, or preventing it from resetting. Using a SuperSuit at these depths may be an option.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@brandyf585 - It's possible that the water pressure is pressing the shutter button, or preventing it from resetting. Using a SuperSuit at these depths may be an option.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Explorer

Unfortunately the waterproof rating confuses some people, and I can certainly understand how this happens.

The 10 meter waterproof rating relates to the depth the camera can be at before water damage can occur. This is not the same as "usability" whereby the buttons will still work efficiently.

For activities like surfing, basic snorkeling, waterskiing, and pool activities, the camera will work fine without the Super Suit. For diving, it's best to use the housing. It doesn't sound like there is something wrong with your camera.