Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 5 blank LCD screen hard reset

Hello,
I've had my hero 5 black for about 2 years so it's out of warranty. A while ago I found out that my screen doesn't work, but the camera still does. I have scoured the forums and web for solutions, and all I have found I have tried and it doesn't work (updating, contacting web chat, ect). I want to try a full hard reset, but I can't find any info on how to do it without using the rear screen. It used to be possible on all other cameras, so how can I do it on this one?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 5 blank LCD screen hard reset

Hi @litlredd

Thank you for trying to troubleshoot the issue. You should be able to control the camera using the front screen by holding on the Mode button and pressing the Shutter button once.

However, this will only allow you to switch between modes and change the mode's settings.

I understand that the camera is past its warranty period, you may reach out to our Support Team to see what else we can do to extend our help. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @litlredd

Thank you for trying to troubleshoot the issue. You should be able to control the camera using the front screen by holding on the Mode button and pressing the Shutter button once.

However, this will only allow you to switch between modes and change the mode's settings.

I understand that the camera is past its warranty period, you may reach out to our Support Team to see what else we can do to extend our help. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Regards,

Ej

Highlighted
Adventurer

I wonder if the touchscreen works. all you need to do is walk through the steps to get to the f actory reset. if not then the Moderator should be telling you the actual steps using the Mode and shuttoer buttons, why is he not?   

FISH

Highlighted
Tourist

I don't know if it's possible anymore to reset through the two buttons. Not sure why GoPro ended that feature or made it very difficult to activate. I'll try to see if just the LCD is broken but the touchscreen works.

GoPro support finally replied to me and recommended I joined GoPro plus for free then paid 50 dollars to replace the whole unit. That sounds like an ok way to replace it and I might go with that.
Highlighted
Adventurer

And you're garanteed  replacements for the futre till it expires I go for it. better then spending a few hundred for a new one.