Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 5 black will only loop for 5 mins

I set my hero 5 to loop for 60 mins, it would only loop for 5 mins, it was on 30 fps, 720p, I contacted GoPro who ran through various resets, updates, different SD cards, frame rates etc, they replaced the camera but the new one is exactly the same, am I missing something, default is set to looping mode, changing fps, resolution and SD card makes no difference, the cards are SanDisk extreme pro 64g, if I set to video mode it records no problem

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 5 black will only loop for 5 mins

Hi @tonybxxx

To make sure I get the issue correctly, I would like to clarify a few things. When you mentioned that it will only loop for 5 minutes, does it mean that the looping functionality stops at the 5th minute? Or does length of the clips only lasts for 5 minutes?

Knowing that you have tested several cameras and SD cards we need to know if this is a camera issue or just about the camera's settings.

We also need to consider, file chaptering. Information is found here.

I've also found this youtube link that may be helpful.

For further investigation, you may reach our Support Team via phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

EJ

Highlighted
Tourist

It records for exactly 5 mins, I've set the settings I can see, the only way to record past 5 mins is to use video mode, as I understand it looping for 5 mins is the default, I have tried all the other options 20/60/120 and Max, still only 5 mins on the SD cards

Highlighted
Tourist

I've only used the camera twice apart from the testing, the cards were new and  formatted before use so they were empty

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi, theres now a new twist, i updated the firmware, set the camera in front of a clock and set it for 60 min loop, after 50 mins i stopped the recording to see what happened, looking into the media file it said 5 mins but when i played the video it played the whole 50 mins in 5 mins segments, i could see the clock gaining 5 mins each time, can anyone tell me whats going on, thanks in advance