Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 5 annoying audio noise

https://youtu.be/L7bxqdG5sGk

Here's an example of annoying noise on any of my videos, the noise doesn't sync with my actions or the terrain. There is nothing loose on me or the bike rattling. This noise is produced by the GoPro.
Anyone else had this or know what it is or it's remedy?
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 5 annoying audio noise

The noise really ramps up at 10 sec in
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @psych-illest

Thank you for sharing the sample video.

What kind of mount did you use?

Have you tried recording with a different activity or setting? 

The sound appears to be normal due to the movement and vibration incurred while riding the bike.

We will appreciate if you are able to share another sample file.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Ej
Ok, first of all , it's not a "sound" , it's a noise. . Do you have YouTube? On YouTube you will find hundreds of thousands of mountain bike videos shot on GoPros without this horrible noise. . " Normal "? It is not normal, show me any GoPro adverts with this sorta noise. . YES you expect trail sounds obviously, but in these clips you can hear an additional noise that is not as a result of anything the bike is doing, the noise is random and not in sync to anything. In the video I'm including at the bottom of this post, anyone can hear this additional noise, which is not a rattle. Nothing on me or the bike is rattling. If anyone thinks this noise is normal please don't contribute to this quest to get GoPro to admit this unit is faulty.
This is an action camera, I use it to do action camera activities, not filming grandma having a picnic, if it can't film MTB trails without this clearly digital noise somehow making its way into the recording it is unfit for purpose.
BTW, I use GoPro chest mount and GoPro J mount, WHICH ARE SNUG AND DON'T RATTLE., I'm not dumb.
In the following clip, listen to the additional noises that are throughout, they doing digital, not like a rattle, because there is nothing rattling.
I'd be surprised if I'm the only one GoPro have dealt with, to have this defect.

https://youtu.be/98wCYZNh1Is
Highlighted
Adventurer

IMHO: 

to me it sounds like clipping swishing   I go on a smooth paved roade  and   use the three audio settings   Auto,Manual Stereo, manual wind

and I do again on the  mountain path. and  see if anything changes.  Do you think the rubber membraine of the hero 5 and hte  over gain of the mics are the common issue?people complain about a simple rube and  waht a scratching sound to the camera....

Highlighted
Tourist

If I go on smooth paved road and the "noise" Isn't there - what will that prove ?.
It's an action camera.
All that will prove is the camera is producing these noises due to uneven trail surfaces and the associated vibrations - BUT IT'S AN ACTIOrattlingA, MADE FOR MOUNTAIN BIKE VIDEOS etc, it's not supposed to have these horrible digital noise added in to it.
If it's not something rattling on me or the bike, which it isn't, do you think this noise is acceptable on a $500 market leading camera? ?
I don't.
Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Do you not want to solve your problem. then you simply do some testing figure it out and move on. it's an action camera. like said most  simply video/photo add music I go grab a hero 4 black and the problem is solved.  the sound is what the issue is, since you do not have any external mics then it has to be the sound of hte camera, do you think calling gopro and requesting a new camera wil lresolve it?

Highlighted
Tourist

I think this camera is faulty and it should be replaced. If it was your camera, would you think so?