Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous
Accepted Solution

Hero 5 Slow to Start Recording and Other Issue

I have the new GoPro 5 and I use it for surfing. The problem I have is that when I push the power button, which also starts the camera recording video, the lag time from pushing the button until the video starts recording takes too long and I miss the action. It takes about 3 to 4 seconds until the video begins. This is a problem. Could this be because the micro SD card is not fast enough or is this a limitation of the GoPro 5. Another issue that I've noticed, is at times, when I push the power/record button, an icon of a wrench pops up. This also happens often. Can someone help me with these two issues? Thank you, David Miami

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Hero 5 Slow to Start Recording and Other Issue

@jefft wrote:

@Anonymous - This could be linked to the SD card. Which card are you using? Have you tried reformatting the card?

Thanks,

Jeff

For anyone still dealing with this issue... reformatting worked great. The camera now turns on instantly and starts/stops recording instantly.

Here's how to do it:

gopro sd card reformatting: mac instructions

gopro sd card reformatting: windows instructions

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@Anonymous - This could be linked to the SD card. Which card are you using? Have you tried reformatting the card?

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Sightseer

@jefft wrote:

Thanks,

Jeff

For anyone still dealing with this issue... reformatting worked great. The camera now turns on instantly and starts/stops recording instantly.

Here's how to do it:

gopro sd card reformatting: mac instructions

gopro sd card reformatting: windows instructions

Highlighted
Adventurer

Anyone including the Staff, the Admim knows the camera takes a few seconds to  start recording.

IMHO   thecamera is not goingto be instantanous, sorry. will take from power on to shutter a few seconds,  it may take the same amount of time to  quikCaptiure as well.  I have other cameras that take a lot longer  up to 7 or moreseconds, and i got a camera that takes 1.2 seconds as soon as you turn on you can be hitting record and no hesitation. its not the sd card, sorry.  

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ Edited ]

I had the same issue. It would take about 15 seconds for the actual recording to start. I traced the issue back to a bad card reader. It rendered one 32 GB card unuseable and nearly killed a second. The second one was causing the slow recording response. I installed a new SD card and the problem was solved. Works perfectly again.