Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 5 Session will not charge initially

I bought a new Hero 5 sessions and have had it on a charger for an iPad for 5 hrs and the orange charging light is still on.  (it does not turn off when I unplug the charger)  I also have not been able to turn on the camera yet.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 5 Session will not charge initially

Is there a SD card in the camera? If so, which one (make/model/size)? You should use one of these cards https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Unfortunately, there are some SanDisk cards that will not work correctly until after the update to the firmware.  DO NOT USE SanDisk Ultra.

Take your SD card out of the camera if you have one installed

Try pressing on the back mode/power button for about 12-15 seconds.  You should see a red light flash.  If you do, wait about 10 full seconds and then briefly press the mode/power button again.  Give the camera a few seconds to turn on. Press the Menu button repeatedly until you get to Exit Menu. Press and hold Shutter button for 8 seconds. Press the Menu button to move to Yes, then press the Shutter button to select it. If this doesn't work, try holding the top shutter button down for 10-20 seconds and see if you get a response. If you do, follow the steps above.

If you are successful doing the steps above:

1) Format your SD (see link to tested working cards above) in your computer (FAT32 if it's 32GB or less and exFAT for 64GB).

2) Download the manual update to your computer, Update.zip https://gopro.com/update

3) Extract the UPDATE folder to your computer

4) Copy the UPDATE folder (not Update.zip) to the blank and formatted SD card

5) Charge your camera for an hour without the SD card

6) Inset the SD card and wait about 20 seconds

7) If the update doesn't start automatically, briefly press the back mode/power button once

8) If the Update is successful, perform the reset as described above

9) Connect your camera to the GoPro app

10) Scroll to the bottom of the settings in the app and select delete/all to format the card in the camera. After doing this, press on the date/time to sync your camera.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Solutions_Troubleshooting/HERO5-Session-Will-Not-Power-On

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Is there a SD card in the camera? If so, which one (make/model/size)? You should use one of these cards https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Unfortunately, there are some SanDisk cards that will not work correctly until after the update to the firmware.  DO NOT USE SanDisk Ultra.

Take your SD card out of the camera if you have one installed

Try pressing on the back mode/power button for about 12-15 seconds.  You should see a red light flash.  If you do, wait about 10 full seconds and then briefly press the mode/power button again.  Give the camera a few seconds to turn on. Press the Menu button repeatedly until you get to Exit Menu. Press and hold Shutter button for 8 seconds. Press the Menu button to move to Yes, then press the Shutter button to select it. If this doesn't work, try holding the top shutter button down for 10-20 seconds and see if you get a response. If you do, follow the steps above.

If you are successful doing the steps above:

1) Format your SD (see link to tested working cards above) in your computer (FAT32 if it's 32GB or less and exFAT for 64GB).

2) Download the manual update to your computer, Update.zip https://gopro.com/update

3) Extract the UPDATE folder to your computer

4) Copy the UPDATE folder (not Update.zip) to the blank and formatted SD card

5) Charge your camera for an hour without the SD card

6) Inset the SD card and wait about 20 seconds

7) If the update doesn't start automatically, briefly press the back mode/power button once

8) If the Update is successful, perform the reset as described above

9) Connect your camera to the GoPro app

10) Scroll to the bottom of the settings in the app and select delete/all to format the card in the camera. After doing this, press on the date/time to sync your camera.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Solutions_Troubleshooting/HERO5-Session-Will-Not-Power-On

Highlighted
Adventurer

@snowyshore2740 wrote:

I bought a new Hero 5 sessions and have had it on a charger for an iPad for 5 hrs and the orange charging light is still on.  (it does not turn off when I unplug the charger)  I also have not been able to turn on the camera yet.

Session/H5S   will take 80% the first hour called a quik charge, 20% will be a slower charge to a trickle.

the Hero 5 session  when it nears the charge  this is what happens i the led starts to turn off but comes back on again, may do this 5 times  and in like a 5 minute interval. once the light is fully off you arefully charged,

the full charge will take for hte 1st time 3 hours. after that it may drop to 2.5 to 2 hours all depends on the amount you  depleted the battery.

If your led is stuck on I suggest taking it off after three ohurs and then  try to use it,   remove any sd card in there and then  play around with the cam by goingthrough settings for a few minutes ,and then try to recharge and see if the light goes off.

was the cam still hot when you see the light stuck,   things happen   if its under 30 to 14 day get a new camera if pass a return period get to  gopro by phone, all we can do is offor what worked for us and what we read no one here is a pro.

Highlighted
Tourist

I now have a blue light flashing on the front and a red light flashing on the back. What does that mean?
Highlighted
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

Means you're playing wit hthe Remo  wireless.   choose the correct one be gopro app. not remote app.  but  that is my guess since gopro has no led   refrence charts here

Highlighted
Tourist

The flashing light is now off.  I don't have a Remo wireless yet.  I saw one post where the flashing blue light was a WiFi and ro scroll down the menu until I came to WiFi and turn it off.  I don't have that option on the 5 Sessions.

Highlighted
Tourist

Had if turned on for a 15 minutes now it won't turn back on.  Frustrating!

Highlighted
Adventurer

We know.  try back mode and  press shutter that will reset the  cam like a soft boot.