Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 5 Session wifi connection problem

I recently changed my phone and am having major problems connecting my Session 5 to the app. Bluetooth connection is established easily, but I can't actually proceed to the next step; the spinning circles appear for several minutes and then a fail message comes up. Occasionally it says the phone is incapable of 5GHz wifi connection (it definitely can), and that it wants to try changing the band to 2.4 GHz. Whether I let it or not, it stil fails.

I've tried everything. I've tried factory resets, the latest firmware (v2.51), as well as other version (v1.5) that I can get my hands on. The app has been deleted and reinstalled several times, Bluetooth and wifi logins deleted from the phone, rebooted several times, turning off wifi and BT, etc etc etc.

What else can I try?

GoPro

Re: Hero 5 Session wifi connection problem

Hello @rockydawn5786. There are additional steps to fix here Troubleshooting GoPro App Connectivity Issues that you may perform. If the issue persists, let our Support team know so they can assist further. You may reach them at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

Highlighted
Tourist

The support team have been absolutely of no use. They didn't know anything other than what's on the webpage you already sent.They just told me I need a new phone. Thoughout this process I've discovered that all of your products have a problem using 5GHz band in Europe due to using a default channel that is illegal here:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/Hero6-Black-5-GHz-wi-fi-not-working/td-p/66116/page/15

Your agents didn't know that. Neither did they guide me on how to change the wifi band on a Session 5 (you can't) while telling me to do it. I'm not going to go out and replace a perfectly good phone based on their advice.

Meanwhile the problem still persists - I would get to the pairing stage on the app, and the gopro wifi network would not show up. I've now tested this with 5+ devices. The most frustrating this is not that none of you know what's wrong, it's that none of you care.

GoPro

Appreciate the update, @rockydawn5786.  It is true that the HERO5 Session does not have the option to change the Wi-Fi band unlike newer models.  The HERO5 Black, and HERO5 Session's built-in Wi-Fi frequency is 5GHz and 2.4GHz, b/g/n (dual band with no specific prioritization).

By any chance, have you been able to use an iOs device in your trials? How did it go?