Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 5 Session video is always gray/dull even when in good outdoor lighting conditions

I'm relatively  new to my GoPro, and one thing I haven't been able to figure out is why all of the footage taken is so dull and gray. For example, I recently when on a trip to Belize where the weather was bright and sunny all day long, but when I got back I saw that all of the footage taken outdoor had a grayish tint to it. It didn't matter if I was on land or water (I thought maybe the camera was color-correcting when it saw the green/blue water), and it happened at any time of day. 

I read some stuff about using the ProTune settings on the app, but are you really expected to boot up the camera and the app and tune every shot every single time you use the camera? Considering a lot of my activities were water-based, I didn't have my phone with me and couldn't change settings on the fly. It seems odd that a camera made for capturing outdoor action would be so dark and dull by default, so now I'm wondering if I missed something obvious because it seems like the white balance isn't adjusting appropriately. FWIW, I have this set to auto. 

Here's an example still from a video taken on a sunny day, a few fluffy clouds here and there but otherwise the sky was picturesque blue and bright. daylight example

Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Hero 5 Session video is always gray/dull even when in good outdoor lighting conditions

so  in  Protunes do you remember if you have gooprp color or flat?

SnapShot.jpg

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 5 Session video is always gray/dull even when in good outdoor lighting conditions

It’s set to GoPro. Thanks!
Highlighted
Adventurer

thank you   you should get  some better rresults if asked. especially in that climate I been to Belize and its coloful  the day I went was Foggy  until the New river. in Lamanai/    notsurewhat else to say could it be a defect or are you 100% sure the photo mode protune gopro color is checked.?

Highlighted
Tourist

It’s definitely set to GoPro. BCEDDDFA-9E05-41B3-87BE-9759FDF12530.png

Highlighted
Adventurer

I hear ya   

Highlighted
Tourist

So, is there no solution for this? This is just how it should look? I emailed GoPro's support to ask about it a couple months ago and never heard back. :/

Highlighted
Adventurer

Gopro must be called they no longer accept todays emails they conduct a new way of business since Summer 2017 or earlier.  

You will need to call.  if a staff member here comes about they will tell you make sure you are set up correctly, or adjust in an editor a photo editor.  Maybe when other members of this community that has your issue, or helpful info, they may pop in or not  bother.  

To me it looks good not great but  not dull if asked.