Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 5 Session stops recording after a few seconds, then repairing file

Hero 5 Session, right from the beginning the camera will stop recording after a few seconds, especially when recording in 4K. 

When I first got the camera it worked okay as I took some fairly long 4K videos, but it would still stop and start again, splitting the recording over several files. 

Now it usually records for about 10 seconds and then beeps off, and a "file repairing" message appears. When I try to play back the files on a PC it says they are corrupted, but it will play them using VLC media player. 

I have tried both a 32GB SanDisk EXTREME card (which I purchased with the card and was quite expensive). Then thinking it must be a problem with the card failing over time, I went and bought a SanDisk EXTREME PRO 64GB card, but it has exactly the same problems. 

I have formatted the cards repeatedly both on PC and using the camera's format function. 

I have applied a manual update to the camera successfully. 

Voice control is turned OFF. 

When recording in 1080p it goes for a bit longer but still stops after 30 seconds or so. 

How long is the warranty on these things? I don't think I still have the original receipt as it was purchased a couple of years ago. 

Any help appreciated as this is quite a frustrating experience with my first ever GoPro, which I purchased because I thought it was top of the line, yet I see many people have had similar issues. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 5 Session stops recording after a few seconds, then repairing file

Hi @epictree06324,

Sorry to know that. Can you please update your camera again manually and make sure that the update will be installed successfully. 

Also all GoPro camera have 1 year standard warranty.

-Jay

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did another update, which worked smoothly, but the problem remains. I reformatted the new 64GB Extreme Pro card and took some 4K video, it stopped recording after about 30 seconds and then said "File Repairing" for a second and then "File Repaired". 

What else can I try? 

Edit: I should have mentioned I did a MANUAL update following all the instructions by unzipping the file, copying to root folder of SD card, etc. The update file was from 2017. 

Highlighted
GoPro

Got it @epictree06324,

It normally happens due to damaged SD card but I would suggest to contact GoPro customer support for assistance. 

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Highlighted
Tourist

I also tried a factory reset. Problem remains. I do seem to be able to take 1080p video for at least 5 minutes, which is when I stopped the test, so I guess that's something, but it is quite frustrating that this camera I paid AU$500 for a couple of years ago does not work properly. I will not be buying another GoPro. 

Highlighted
Tourist

If you’ve ever recorded longer sections of video on your GoPro, you will have found that video gets split up into smaller segments. Precisely how long the chunks are depends on the video mode you’re using and which camera model.

Highlighted
Tourist

@goodwinc36882 wrote:

If you’ve ever recorded longer sections of video on your GoPro, you will have found that video gets split up into smaller segments. Precisely how long the chunks are depends on the video mode you’re using and which camera model krogerfeedback

Any other suggestion?