Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 5 Session not using all space in SD card

After formatting the card, it shows only enough room for 4:17.  When it get to that point while recording, it throws the SD Card error and stops. I can record multiple videos but they are all 4min max.  I have a class 10 SanDisk Ultra 128GB.  I've formatted the card on the Mac and on the Session.  Both default to exfat.  Latest firmware.  I can lower the quality and the time increases but not by much.  I have tried multiple cards and the Session will not use the the full space on the card.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 5 Session not using all space in SD card

Thank you for the pictures, @noblestar03511. Which other SD cards have you tried using? Are they among the recommended ones on this list? The SanDisk Ultra 128GB that you have specified is not a recommended SD card for GoPros. They were found to work initially but has also been tested to not work consistently and eventually caused issues when used with the camera. Try a recommended SD card and see how it goes. Hope to hear back from you.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @noblestar03511,

Can you somehow send the details here a screenshot of the occupied space on your SD card.

Also that SD card (SanDisk ULTRA is not a recommended SD card)

Please check this link instead: https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

I've formatted the card so there's nothing on it.  Is there a particular tool I should use to send a screenshot of? I've tried multiple brands and sizes with the same results.  This and other cards have been working fine but now I get this error.  Nothing has changed.  One thing I've noticed is that it will give a different max/time left depending upon the size of the card, which is to be expected of course.  So it's like it's reading a percentage of the card, somehow...?

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @noblestar03511,

You can use the default tool for screen capturing. 

If you're using Windows you can use Snipping tool or paint. 

Also please check where specifically your SD card stops saving files. 

The reason might be the last file is too large for the remaining space. 

Hoping to get more details. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

I've tried multiple brands and sizes; all do the same thing.  I never had a problem before.  I just recorded a video.  Here is a screenshot of the directory.  You can see that there is plenty of space.

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 9.16.39 PM.png
Highlighted
Tourist

This is what it looks like before I record.

Screenshot_20180915-210954.png
Highlighted
Tourist

And this is after it records.

Screenshot_20180915-211240.png
Highlighted
GoPro

Thank you for the pictures, @noblestar03511. Which other SD cards have you tried using? Are they among the recommended ones on this list? The SanDisk Ultra 128GB that you have specified is not a recommended SD card for GoPros. They were found to work initially but has also been tested to not work consistently and eventually caused issues when used with the camera. Try a recommended SD card and see how it goes. Hope to hear back from you.