Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 5 Session keeps taking pictures

[ New ]

Used my Hero 5 Session in about 8 meters of water (apparently rated for 10 meters)

It has now taken approximatey 7000 pictures uncontrollably, and I can't seem to change settings. 

I managed to turn it off by holding the small button on the back, the i took out the SD card, and I can finally access the menu options, but pressing the shutter button won't allow access to menu options.

Has anyone had this issue before? I'm hoping it's not water damage, but it probably is. If so, what are my options for fixing or replacing?

Jeff

Adventurer

Re: Hero 5 Session keeps taking pictures

[ New ]

Did you short pressfor video, or Long press ( se secs) for photo.  Back mode  long press (10 plus secs) forces off the camera.  the top shutter butto  you are saying is now not working?

Call your regional gopro   and talk to gopro.  theyshould be able to work with you on  your  issue . good luck

Explorer

[ New ]
It's possible the water pressure was causing the camera to take pictures (long press puts it into time lapse mode). While the camera is rated for water resistance to 10m, this does not always equate to usability as the water pressure can have an effect on the buttons.

It's extremely difficult to damage the Session cameras with water as the internal components are wrapped in a rubber like shell beneath the case. For water to egress into the internal components it must do so through the media door and into the SD card slot or cable port. For this to happen the media door needs to be improperly shut or the seal of the door to be dirty or damaged (lint, hair, or other debris could possibly compromise the seal).

Most likely, the camera is fine but the water pressure caused the camera to go into the time lapse taking pictures every 0.5 seconds.
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks Daniel,

You’re probably right about the buttons being effected by the water pressure. I’m afraid there may be some permanent damage, because the camera took 7000 pictures while sitting on the kitchen counter.

The GoPro screen does say it’s in the Time Lapse mode, but I’m unable to stop it, or change the settings due to the shutter button not working.

Jeff
Explorer

[ New ]
That is weird. If you get it stopped, use the rear mode/power button to turn it on and the scroll to EXIT. When you get this option, press and hold the top shutter for about 8 seconds until an option to factory reset the camera comes up.

Once reset, perform a manual update using your computer and a USB/SD adapter. https://gopro.com/update/hero5_session

It sometimes helps to do a factory reset a second time after performing the update (the firmware will remain the latest).

If none of these methods work, reach out to the GoPro Support Team and they should be able to help you out.
https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs
Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks again Daniel.

I’ll have to get in touch with the Support Team. The shutter button not working won’t allow me to complete the factory reset either. Fairly frustrating, to say the least.

Jeff
Explorer

[ New ]

Bummer. I hope they get it resolved for you.