Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Re: Hero 5 Session Firmware bug (default Photo mode causes crash)

I'm actually having the same issues as stated above.

I'll try to explain what I'm seeing.

For a while I could set the default setting in the capture app for the menu button. I set this to photo. When I wanted to take a photo, I'd just click menu, the gopro would load and then cycle to photo. I could then just click the capture button and take photos. The gopro would not power off for a few minutes. This was ideal.

At some point, not sure if it was the firmware or not, this default setting would not stick. I load the default setting in the capture app, save and power off my gopro. Now, when I click the menu button, it does not cycle through to photo, it goes to time lapse or something else, and then turns off after 5 seconds. I confirm my default settings for the menu button are indeed photo, but still it won't work like it used to. One work around I found was that if I press menu to activate the gopro, and keep clicking menu to go through the 7 screens, it then loads photo mode and acts exactly as it used to.

What can I do to get it to default to photo mode again? Yes, I can cycle through the menus, but this is not ideal nor how i'm sure the firmware was planned.

I've changed default settings to other modes, and no luck. 

IF i power off from within the capture app, and power on, the default mode works perfectly. There is just something not allowing the camera to load the default on its own.

Hopefully that explains it adequately, and you guys can help us out!

Hiker

Hi ddoonie- Thanks for that nice explanation.  Yes this is my problem too.  The firmware update in April caused the change.  Since then, default photo mode no longer functions, as you noted.  Or, alternatively, the only way to get it to work is to turn on the camera, quickly hit the menu button 7 times, etc, which is way too complicated and clearly defeats the purpose.  The easiest way to get to photo mode now is to put the camera in default video mode, then turn it on and quickly hit the menu button once during the 5 seconds that the modes show.  It will then say "Enter Photo Mode" and you can hit the shutter button to enter photo mode.  It's unfortunately not that easy to do one handed as you are riding a bike or a surfboard, but not impossible.  Still hoping they fix it someday.

Sightseer

Thanks for that lanier. That's a few clicks less than what I have to do now, so will make that change. I'm hoping they resolve this (which seems unlikely as people don't think the problem exists?) as it worked flawlessly before.

I couldn't even factory reset as the manual says to cycle through to "exit menu". I don't even have that option!

Tourist

Hi @lanierb6548, I've read all this thread to realise that I have the exact same problem. 

I understand your frustration with that user that insisted it isn't a bug. It clearly is a bug, because if it weren't, there wouldn't be a really quick way to take a photo, as you say, when you are running, driving, etc. The main purpose of the gopro wouldn't make sense if you have to touch the buttons three or four times before taking a photo.

I was already pulling my hair off when I found this thread. 

I've just updated the firmware but the problem remains.

I'll try to contact support to report the bug.

Wish me luck.

Tourist

Sad to hear the bug still exists after the new firmware update. I'll update my firmware tomorrow and let you now if I still experience the bug. But my hopes are very low at the moment after I read this. :( 

Tourist

So I just updated the firmware. Same bug as in version 2.00

Hope they fix this someday. It's so annoying!

Hiker

Yeah me too.  I never even found a way to report the bug to GoPro.  If I call support they just want to replace my camera.  They don't seem equipped to report bugs.

Tourist

Yeah that's stupid. Why replace the camera when the "new" one uses the same firmware with this bug. I wonder if all gopros are affected by this or only some units? If all cameras are affected than there would be more people complaining i guess.