Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Backpacker

Re: Hero 5 Session Firmware bug (default Photo mode causes crash)

@lanierb6548

Perfectly normal, mine does the same.  Stays on for 15 seconds, then powers down.  This is to prevent accidental hit and battery drain!  Maybe all is OK, and you just need to spend time using, playing with settings and most importantly referring to manual. 

HERE: https://gopro.com/content/dam/help/hero5-session/manuals/HERO5Session_UM_ENG_REVC_Web.pdf

If you hit shutter button short press (1 second) on top it will also power up and record per last used settings.  If you press shutter button long press (3 seconds) it will go into time lapse video per last used settings. Also try voice commands in quiet environments, although its hit and miss...

Hope that helps and sheds some light on it for you!

Hiker

Thanks for letting me know yours does the same.  It's NOT normal.  It's a bug.  No previous firmware acted that way and it's NOT what the manual says should happen.  It means that the only way to use the camera is by using QuickCapture.

I can see how you would not know this if you don't use the session to take photos, but it makes taking regular (not time lapse) photos nearly impossible since you can't take regular photos with QuickCapture.  For instance, if you put the camera in default photo mode, the camera never turns off before even entering photo mode, so no way you can take a photo.  In previous firmwares, the camera stayed on allowing you to take a photo.  It's a bug.

Backpacker

The button you pressed in video is the menu button, and that's how my H5S functioned before and after fw update. 

For photo mode you need to cycle to it through menu, or use voice activation.  I dont take individual photos, I use burst -  and mostly through voice.

Mine works fine when I follow this:

CAPTURING PHOTOS

1. Press the Menu button to turn on the status screen.
  2. Select a capture mode (Photo, Burst, or Night) and settings:
  3. Press the Menu button repeatedly to move to Camera Settings,

then press the Shutter button [ ] to select it.

1. Press the Shutter button repeatedly until you get to the Photo

icon [ ].

1. Press the Menu button to move to the next field, then press the

Shutter button to select a capture mode.

1. To change a setting, press the Menu button to move to the

setting, then press the Shutter button repeatedly to display the

option that you want.

1. Press the Menu button to move to the check mark, then press the

Shutter button to select it.

1. Press the Shutter button. Your camera beeps once, then beeps once

for each photo that is captured. The camera status lights blink while the

camera is capturing photos.

Note: To capture continuous photos at a rate of 5 photos per second, select the

Photo capture mode, then hold down the Shutter button. Photos are captured until

you release the button.

1. To power off the camera, press the Menu button to move to Exit

Photo Mode, then press the Shutter button to select it.

CAPTURING PHOTOS IN THE MODE THAT YOU USED LAST TIME

To take a photo using the capture mode that you used most recently

(Photo, Burst, or Night), use the shortcut below.

1. Press the Menu button to turn on the status screen.
  2. Press the Menu button to move to Enter Photo Mode, then press the

Shutter button [ ] to select it.

1. Press the Shutter button. The camera beeps once, then beeps once

for each photo that is captured. The camera status lights blink while the

camera is capturing photos.

1. To power off the camera, press the Menu button to move to Exit

Photo Mode, then press the Shutter button to select it.

Backpacker

@lanierb6548
When I use Photo mode on my H5S: I press Menu button once to turn on display, press it again to enter photo mode, hit shutter button to confirm and now I'm in Photo Mode with my last used photo settings.

Now a press of shutter button takes a photo... and camera and display stays on for well over 60 seconds.

Hint -- you can also just say "GoPro Photo Mode" once cam is powered up to enter Photo Mode.

Tourist

I have the exact same problem.

I would expect the camera to stay on after I hit the Menu Button when the camera is off.

Current Bahaviour:

Hit the Menu Button -> Cycling through Video and Burst Mode Settings -> Shutdown after 5 sec.

Expected Behaviour:

Hit the Menu Button -> Cycling through Video and Burst Mode Settings -> Show Mode Icon -> Camera stays on. (At least I saw this in some youtube-Videos)

In my opinion Voice Commands don't make sense the way the camera behaves right now! 

Backpacker

No bug, No glitch, no problems with GoPro --- Problem is a loose nut behind camera!  LOL! Smiley Tongue

Follow my instructions above and it works perfectly!!!

Press Menu, menu, shutter...  Now you are in Photo Mode.

Just pressing Menu only turns on camera for 15 seconds... unless you enter a particular mode

Hiker

Sorry you're just dead wrong and at this point you're not being useful.  I just verified on a friend's camera that the prior firmware works properly and this one (4/5/17) has the bug.  Please stop posting on this topic.

Hiker

Yes it's a firmware bug introduced in V02.00 4/5/17.  I've now verified for sure with another camera.  We can only wait for a solution.  

It is true that you can get around it by quickly hitting menu before the camera crashes and turns off, but this is not the intended behavior. Furthermore, it makes default photo mode not work.