Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 5 Session Firmware bug (default Photo mode causes crash)

The bug: when camera is set to default Photo mode, when you turn it on it goes through the usual mode lists and then crashes and turns off.  That is, you cannot turn it on with one button push and have it stay on.  It just turns right back off.  This means you cannot take a photo at all when in this mode.  Camera also gets hot to the touch.

(1) Yes I'm positive this is a bug because before the firmware update it didn't do this.  It turned on in photo mode and stayed on. Furthermore, after the firmware update GoPro replaced my camera (thinking it might be a hardware problem) and the new one does exactly the same thing, so that proves it's the firmware.

(2) The only way to take photos now is to put camera in default video mode, turn the camera on, then switch to photo mode.  I.e. default photo mode may as well not exist.

Please fix!  Many of us want to be able to reach in our pocket for the session while doing some sport, and take a photo, and it is much harder now!

Adventurer

Re: Hero 5 Session Firmware bug (default Photo mode causes crash)

get to gopro return your camera for a new one. sounds like you nevergot a new camera at all and simply returned the same model.      Did you get the same seriel no. camera back

Factory reset. simply  turn on   go to  photo mode snap a photo.   SImply  go to prefrence, default to photo. turn off and back on to photo  andsnap a photo.  No bug here.  FOR ME. so  more or less each camera out there  has glitches bugs and issues. and only a few are good camera's

Hiker

It's a different camera with a different serial number.  Remember the original camera worked at first, which suggests it is NOT a hardware problem.  Maybe your camera doesn't have the latest firmware version.

Backpacker

Try a factory reset:

RESTORING FACTORY SETTINGS

Follow the steps below to reset all settings and the camera’s password. This

option is useful if you are reselling your camera and want to remove

all customization.

1. With your camera off, press the Menu button to turn on the

status screen.

2. Press the Menu button repeatedly until you get to Exit Menu.

3. Press and hold Shutter button [ ] for 8 seconds.

4. Press the Menu button to move to Yes, then press the Shutter

button to select it.

Also what memory card are you using, they can cause similar issues.

Hiker

I have done factory reset and also tried reinstalling firmware.  Also reformatted SD card and tried two different cards.

The SD card is Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB.  Keep in mind the camera worked with this same card previously.

Hiker

Just to add: I also tried a Lexar 1000X 128GB card with same results.  Both cards work fine in my Hero 5 Black.  Very frustrated by this.

Backpacker

[ Edited ]

@lanierb6548

Sounds like a job for customer support!

https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus

I will add that it doesnt make any sense that you are able to record video and photo mode makes it crash!  Video clearly uses a higher bitrate!

Hiker

GoPro support wants to just replace the camera again, which I suppose is worth a try.  Here's a question, though.  I reinstalled the 02.00 firmware fresh and then did a factory reset so this is completely fresh default settings.  When I hit the menu button, the Hero5 Session turns on, shows the video mode, the time lapse photo mode, and then turns off.  I believe this is a bug.  See here:

https://youtu.be/_7ilIElhY9Y

Previously, what it did was to show the video mode, the time lapse photo mode, and then the regular photo mode, and then it would stay on for a few minutes.   This is the correct behavior as described in the manual.  In particular, without this behavior it is impossible to turn on the camera in default photo mode and take a photo.

Can someone verify for me whether their Session with 02.00 firmware works as in the video, or whether it works correctly (stays on)? Both my original camera and the replacement worked as in the video with the 02.00 firmware, which is why I was leaning toward it being a firmware bug rather than a hardware problem.  Thanks!

Is this a firmware bug or a hardware problem?