Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hero 5- No Audio is some videos.

Hi there.

From Singapre here.

I own a hero 5 black, and recently found that some videos i took, the audio was missing.

example, 79 different footages from a trip, and 3 videos were without any audio.

is this an SD card issue? Or a Camera issue?

never had this problem before.

looking forward to some advice please. 

Thank you

Anand.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 5- No Audio is some videos.

What SD card are you using? Preferably, it should be from this list.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

I personally use Samsung Pro/Pro+ and Lexar 1000X and haven't had any audio issues.

Not recording audio with video is not an expected occurrence so we can try to troubleshoot best we can.

Formatting the card and running the manual update is a good start. You should not only format the card in your computer, but also in the camera but following these steps.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/How_To/Formatting-an-SD-Card-With-HERO5-Black

Choosing a sound profile, Wind or Stereo, instead of auto might be a better option. It's possible if it was on auto the camera got stuck deciding between the two. Did you have Protune audio on?

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

79 and only three issues Isay that is pritty good.  Sometimes the cam can make a mistake a hiccup,  it happens. also sometimesa card as well, but this is the gopro camera.  you should have some sort of memory when you snapped those shots and can think of what you did   prior. was it quick get the cam out or simply took your time and waited for the right moment?  Were they  longrecorded or very short    vieos like 3 or 10 secs long?

I have   had thesame issue on 20 one was bad. not all have perfect camera's like some here they all have issues of some sort called a glitch.

Highlighted
Hiker

Thank you for the reply, so this is not an isolated case of mine i suppose? 

My Hero5 is mounted on a Feiyu Tech G5. And i only use the record button to start and stop recording.

All my settings are done prior to recording, before i leave my home.  knowing the activity i will be doing saves

me the hassle of fumbling with the settings when i 'm trekking or doing other activities. 

I have restored the camera to factory settings, updated the software, re formatted the SDcard, etc..

Just really dissapointed this is happening only recently, and i even checked the wave file for the clip,

it was blank as well.

Upset, the "moment " is gone without the audio.

What else can i do to prevent this happening again? 

Thanks.

Highlighted
Explorer

What SD card are you using? Preferably, it should be from this list.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

I personally use Samsung Pro/Pro+ and Lexar 1000X and haven't had any audio issues.

Not recording audio with video is not an expected occurrence so we can try to troubleshoot best we can.

Formatting the card and running the manual update is a good start. You should not only format the card in your computer, but also in the camera but following these steps.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/How_To/Formatting-an-SD-Card-With-HERO5-Black

Choosing a sound profile, Wind or Stereo, instead of auto might be a better option. It's possible if it was on auto the camera got stuck deciding between the two. Did you have Protune audio on?
Highlighted
Hiker

Hi there.

thank you for suggestions.

i used a Lexar 64GB USH-1, Class 10 card.

it worked perfectly fine for my other trips.

have reformatted the SD card in my camera only.

will follow your advice on the manual update.

i am not sure if i had protune audio turned on, just restored my camera to factory settings this morning, unable to check.

but i distinctly remembered that i always have my wind mode on, as it's my default setting always. 

Really strange that it's happening now.

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi,

I´ve been facing the same issues. Use a SanDisk Extreme 64GB. Recordings are short, typically 10 - 60 sec. Sometimes audio is missing on one of the recordings whereas all the rest are OK. There is no difference in the way I recorded, simply used the Strart / Stop button on top as the camera is set to Video. Audio was set to high, Protune on and Manual Audio Control to Wind Only! It´s a shame to miss some good footage because the audo is missing, so any further hints are highly appreciated.

BR Gorm

Highlighted
Adventurer

sounds more like a sound card issue that gopros promic and quik capture fails to work  so lets   start using the mode on and  recording then quik capture if all works well like a pet rock each will vary.   cards do not play a full role they play part of the role.    

Using quik capture most my time I waste the first five seconds of my clips as the sound fades in that is  due to the latest and greatest 3 mic system gopro implimented here a washing maching a dishawasher a fish bowl sound.  so if I keep auto on, I get that fade in    i will prove it out to myself later...  at the start  the camera is waking up looking and   satying quik get to work  to much lag on boot up if asked.   so this must hold true for the Hero 6 as it should have been fixed  be one of this CON thing..  lol

Highlighted
Explorer

@gorm1612
Since you had Protune audio on the camera should have recorded a seperate .wav file. Did you test this to see if audio was captured?

Quick Capture is a great feature but unfortunately every now and then it seems to hiccup. I think that it's just that during the process of powering up all of components and starting the recording, the camera doesn't always give enough time to all of these components to initialize.

Most of the time Quick Capture works great. For the best performance though, turn the camera on using the side mode/power button and then start recording.