Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 5 Mic Adapter Not Working

[ New ]

This is driving me crazy. I get it to work sometimes and sometimes I don't.

Just got my GoPro Hero 5 Black about two weeks ago. Had already ordered a Purple Panda microphone for it.

Then realized I need this special adapter from GoPro. Silly crazy.

I order that also - get it all ready to do some motovlogging. And it does not work. WTF.

I have it connected correctly with the camera settings set to STANDARD MIC - I use the power/mode button to turn on - then I press the shutter - record some video - playback - static audio - just noise.

Sometimes, howeveer, when I am not really needing it - I test it the same way and it works. 

I think I have a bad adapter.

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Hero 5 Mic Adapter Not Working

[ New ]

I found the solution - I replaced the promic with a new one and that fixed it. I have seen that your use of headphones being plugged into the promic was a good test to try but I kept getting it to work sometimes and not always. It was, for me, a defective promic.

Promic = GoPro Microphone Adapter

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

[ New ]

I am sure you do not have other mics to try  to  see if itis the actual promic. or the mic?

Tourist

[ New ]

I verified the mic works on my cell phone. 

Adventurer

[ New ]

is it a TRS  ( 3 pin) or TRRS (4 pin) ?

Looks like 4 pin to me not recommended for gopro    So are you using the supplied adapter  4 pin to 3  pin  to the gopro promic??

$_32.JPG

Tourist

[ New ]

It is the 4 - 3 pin adapter included with my mic. 

3-pin-gopro.jpg

Adventurer

[ New ]

Great.

Hero 5 Black & promic in, No mic plugged in the  cameras internal mic will work.

Hero 6 Black & promic in , No mic plugged in the camera internal mic will work.

This is what I just did, I used a 3.5mm 3 pin ear headset and plugged in to the promic and spoke, the Hero 5 did not owrk, but the hero 6 did. I am  sure  Ican get this to work for the  hero 5 if I try a few more times.  reason  behind this is to  see if another mic works, hte head set acts as a mic,  Process of elemination, to see if the 4  pin to 3 pin cable is the issue?  I read here because I follow many threads that certain individuals that  more or less lekely not to return has resolved their issues with their promic adapters.

Returned.  replaced,    ordered  the correct mics,   faulty cables.   incompatible cables.

So it is Possible that the promic is  defective,     from my experience like said above;

promic only  records internal mic,  external mic, records external mic,   gopro has made it possible for us to  record sound if we incorrectly have a mic in. then to mute the clip/

So give another alternative before you chat or call or return the mic I am sure it is one of the above in bold.

try the ear peice see if it works.

FISH

Tourist

[ New ]

I appreciate your help but I really wish I could understand what you are trying to say. Your typing is strange and I can't understand. What is promic?

I contacted the microphone company to say that I was considering returning their microphone. They suggested testing it first with my phone, and as I said in my first post, I did. I plugged into my cell phone and it worked just fine to record. 

Are you suggesting that it could still be a faulty microphone?

Adventurer

[ New ]

going to do a LS (live stream maybe it will help or not 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTcXbXmUwDk

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.