Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 5 Does Not Power On

My Hero 5 Black is not powering on, and it's not behaving like any of the other descriptions on the community.

It has no lights, no beeps, no screens, no response at all. This is with several different recently charged batteries as well as when connected to external power.

The problem started over the weekend. The camera worked perfectly while snorkeling, and also for some beach pictures (30-60 minutes) afterward. A few minutes later, back in the room, it wouldn't power on. I was surprised since I didn't remember seeing a low battery signal. Anyway, I didn't think too much of it and plugged it in to charge and left for dinner. When I came back, the unit and battery were quite hot to the touch, so I disconnected it immediately and let it cool down. Since then, it has not powered on at all, regardless of battery, external power, whatever. All the pictures and videos were fine, so I don't think it's an issue with the memory card.

I suspect it's a hardware failure, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero 5 Does Not Power On

@levibb - It's possible that your camera may have water damage since the issues first appeared right after you went snorkeling. Our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs can help troubleshoot this with you and see what options there are to get you using your GoPro again.

Thanks,

Jeff

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Re: Hero 5 Does Not Power On

@levibb - It's possible that your camera may have water damage since the issues first appeared right after you went snorkeling. Our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs can help troubleshoot this with you and see what options there are to get you using your GoPro again.

Thanks,

Jeff