Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 5 Black w/ Evo SS gimbal

I started using a EVO SS gimbal with my Hero 5 Black. It's kind of a pain getting the camera in and out of the fitting and makes the power / mode button inaccessible.

Then I noticed that, because it's a tight fit, when I remove the cam I will accidently press the 'record' button, and that powers on the camera and starts recording.

Any instructions or explanation on why that is. None of the documentation describes this 'feature'. It would be helpful so I can plan sequence of events while setting up my rig. Power up, access with android app, adjust angle, begin record. It's nice if I don't have to remove the camera just to access the side power button.

thanks, td

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 5 Black w/ Evo SS gimbal

[ Edited ]

okay, I found a video that described the "quik capture" feature.

This is useful for powering on the camera enough to gain bluetooth access with the android app, without having to remove the camera from the gimbal to access the side button. When I'm ready to start shooting I can power on by recording for a second then stopping. Now Bluetooth should be accessible (?)

Please confirm this or is there a better way? thanks

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @tdsurf,

I think it's impossible to connect your camera to your phone using QuikCapture feature since Quik Capture records or take a photo and will turn off after recording for a short period. 

If it works for you please let us know so that we can add it on our tips and tricks. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks Jay for your response. What I meant to say was, use the quik capture way as a means to "wake up" the camera. IOW, I travel to my location, I can wake up the camera without removing from the gimbal, by pressing record, then stopping record immediately. Now I can connect via phone to proceed with setup. Otherwise you cannot connect to the camera via bluetooth. Make sense?

What I learned previously from gp support is that after approx 8 hours of disconnect, you cannot reconnect via bluetooth as the connection times out or dies or ?... without first powering back up. Within that period you can reconnect even though the camera is "off". So my thought is to use quik-capture as a means of powering back up without access to the power button.

td

Highlighted
GoPro

Ohh got it @tdsurf,

Let's try. 

If you have suggestion we can forward them as well to our developers. 

Regards,

-Jay