Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 5 Black sd error

Hi, I just bought a new hero 5 black and struggling with 'sd card error' (I have a SanDisk Extreme plus). I can not record movies, take any pictures.. Previously,  with my hero 4 black I did not have any problems. I tried to format sd in the settings but all for nothing. Any ideas?

Hiker

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

I am using the SanDisk Extreme Plus UHS-1 64GB (SDQXSG-064G-ANCMA).

Did you try formating the SD card on your PC? I initially had a problem getting mine to work as well. I formated it in the PC and then manually updated the camera firmware by placing the firmware update folder on the SD Card. I then put the SD Card in the camera, turned on the camera, and when the firmware update completed my issues were gone. Hope this helps......

This is a link of SD cards that GoPro recommends: https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

Sightseer

I am having the same problems on a HERO5 Session. I have swapped cards, used the recomended cards... everything..

Explorer

Try reformating the card in your computer and running the manual update https://gopro.com/support/product-update/register-camera

Tourist

I ran the manual update on my Hero 5 as advised but still facing the same issue with card error. 

I'm using the the SANDISK EXTREME® microSD™ 64GB (SDSDQXL-064G-A46A - 64GB) recommended for Gopro. It is the exact same model Gopro is selling on their online store.

I've tried all other means of reformatting (on Mac, in the Gopro, and through manual update). The funny thing is the card works with my Sony RX100 II when inserted in the card adaptor, but why can't it work with the Gopro? 

I've tried the last 3 hours googling, finding a solution and its getting frustrating. I'm also worried I might not be able to get any sort of refund as I've disposed the packaging and receipts that came along with the purchase. Any advice on this issue? Please help!!!

Hiker

For what it is worth I've had issues with my SanDisk 32GB SD card in my Hero+ but the moment I put it in the new Hero 5 I've had no issues at all. Not sure if just some SD cards are finiky or what. 

I know that when I'd have my Hero+ give me fits if I turned it on then inserted the card, waited a bit for it to read it would stop giving me the NO SD warning. 

Tourist

Tried both, didn't help.

Hiker

Hey guys! If you were like me and were super excited to get your camera out of the box as soon as you got it then I have what was a fast and easy fix to this problem. As soon as I got my camera, I turned it on BEFORE I inserted my sd card. I kept getting the "sd card error" after about 15 seconds of video recording. I fixed the problem by formatting the sd card in the camera and then resetting the camera to factory defaults with the sd card INSIDE the camera. Once I did this, all my problems went away and I haven't had an issue since.