Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

@m18ntt wrote:

. . . Today I've re-started my camera and jumped straight back in to repeated card errors. Now waiting for a Lexar card to be delivered which will hopefully cure the problem but now well out of pocket and very frustrated. 

@m18ntt

Perhaps you'd like to try the SanDisk Formater Tool and see if it works for you?  It's from the SanDisk website and their tech support said that there is a possibility that the GoPro Hero 5 firmware isn't updating to the latest SanDisk format spec and therein the camera reformats the card to GoPro specs that do not include getting all the memory quantity out of the card and since the chip states the card size and the actual size (read by GoPro firmware) does not match the stated size, GoPro firmware results in SD Card Error.

If you'd like to try it, I have SanDisk's link and please PM me and if it works, we can post the results and I'll go out today and buy me some GoPro Hero 5 Black's.  If no one else tries it, I will buy me another GPH5B and try it myself although at the risk of another return if the Formater Tool doesn't work.

Highlighted
Tourist

Following your advice I downloaded the formatter tool from the Sandisk website and have now reformatted my card but it hasn't cured the problem as I'm still geting the card errors. TBH I've now decided to give up on the Sandisk card and am now pinning all hopes on the fact that the Lexar card will work when it arrives. Failing that the camera is going back as I've wasted far too much time on this and really can't be bothered.

If Gopro feel comfortable releasing a product which has seemingly been so poorly tested prior to release then frankly they don't deserve the business and the fact that they actively promote using Sandisk cards just rubs salt in the wounds. If the Lexar card doesn't work I will have no qualms about returning it to the retailer, my only real gripe is that I'm now well out of pocket due to the purchase of other accessories, failed card(s) and a How To guide that will all no doubt be relegated to my "man drawer" for ever more.  

Highlighted
Nomad

@m18ntt wrote:

Following your advice I downloaded the formatter tool from the Sandisk website and have now reformatted my card but it hasn't cured the problem as I'm still geting the card errors. . . . 

I'm so sorry to hear this.  Such a bummer.  Were the instructions adequate on the formatter tool that you are confident that you did was the tool suggested?  I just want to make sure before giving up on the GoPro Hero 5.  I sooooooo want the Hero 5 as it is exacly perfect for what I want to do and will give me the branding I need with my clients.  My clients expect me to show up with 4 to 10 HD cameras that work and are name brands that they can hang their hats on (all New York based probjects) and if their clients learned I had filmed with a non-brand product, I'd be outsed faster than a New York Minute.  I sooooooo don't want the Sony but it's stabilzation is that of the GoPro and the form factor is definitely out of my arena let alone no touch screen.

Did the formatter tool do anything to help the matter at all?  SanDisk indicated also that if the GoPro's contacts are slightly off, that would definitely be an issue.  I know on my camera, the card kept  wanting to slide in sideways and not go straight in.

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

@drdimento wrote:

@m18ntt wrote:

Following your advice I downloaded the formatter tool from the Sandisk website and have now reformatted my card but it hasn't cured the problem as I'm still geting the card errors. . . .

Dr. D, not that I work for GoPro as I'm not on their payroll and could care less, but why give up on the Hero 5 Black if it's been confirmed that the Lexar and some other MicroSD cards have proven compatible and work with it? If it's "exactly perfect" for what you want to do, has the "branding you need for your clients," and it's a simple matter of going with a MicroSD other than SanDisk, then what's the issue? Unless I missed a post where you have tons of SanDisk cards or under exclusive contract with them, I'm not understanding the commitment to them. 

Highlighted
Nomad

@Anonymous wrote:
Dr. D, not that I work for GoPro as I'm not on their payroll and could care less, but why give up on the Hero 5 Black if it's been confirmed that the Lexar and some other MicroSD cards have proven compatible and work with it? If it's "exactly perfect" for what you want to do and it's a simple matter of going with a MicroSD other than SanDisk, then what's the issue? Unless I missed a post where you have tons of SanDisk cards or under exclusive contract with them, I'm not understanding the commitment to them. 

@Anonymous

It's a matter of inventory and confusion.  At any given time I have 1-12 HD cameras and have anywhere from 1 to all of them in use at any given time.  Since the cameras are basically just two different types at present, Canon and SJcam, they all use SanDisk SD and SanDisk micoSD and all are Class 10 which keeps the level of confusion to the minimum.  Thus, if at all possible, use of the the SanDisk is a deal maker and otherwise I have to bear in mind that when we had issues with our GoPro Hero 4 Silver's with SD Card Errors, it cost us camera angles on several different videos and in one case, nearly a client.  I can't afford to not get it right and with all the apparatus to set up and only an hour or a little over to set it all up on a run and gun, the more pieces in the puzzle the more the risk.  If i have to, I'm sure we'll make a move but just wishn'n'hopin if you will?

Highlighted
Tourist

The instructions were quite clear and I'm happy that I followed them correctly. The formatting software didn't seem to provide any improvement at all. As soon as I reloaded the card and started filming the camera produced a card error initially after 12s then it worked on a second attempt for about 2min then failed twice more after 12s then 35s respectively. The most stable performance I have got from this camera / card partnership was when I followed the GoPro Support recommended download on their website in which I downloaded a zipped folder to my laptop then copied the saved files to my camera which was connected via usb lead. This put the camera through a series of downloads with the camera switching off then back on a couple of times during the process. As I mentioned in an earlier post this was followed by a series of trouble free recordings yesterday at various combinations of resolution and fps and I really thought the matter was sorted but on trying the camera again today it was back to square one with errors galore from start up.

As far as Sandisks comment regarding contact line up is concerned; this sounds like blame culture to me. My card seems to be quite a snug fit in the carrier and I'd be particularly annoyed if I ended up as "piggy in the middle" between warring factions in Sandisk and Gopro each blaming each other for flaws in the others hardware.

The other posts on this forum seem to suggest that alternative cards work fine with the Hero5 so providing you steer clear of Sandisk I suppose there shouldn't be a problem going with the hero5. Mind you I'm not sure I would go down this route if I was looking at providing a number of cameras to clients particularly since support for this issue does not appear to rank too highly on GoPros list of priorities; not exactly what one might expect from a top end camera of this type.

On a personal level I shall reserve further judgement until I try the Lexar card but after spending over a week trying to get any sort of stable performance out of this camera I'm now quite scepticle and more than a little annoyed to put it mildly. I sincerely hope the Lexar card provides a stable platform for the camera and restores my confidence. 

Highlighted
Tourist

I had the same problem, went to a couple of camera shops and they all immediately said get the Lexar professional cards that process at 150mb/s. I have made the change and it's glorious!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U0XG65U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I've had exactly the same issue! I received my Hero Session 5 yesterday and having bought a SanDisk Extreme 64GB card as advised and checked by GoPro it doesn't work!  I have been in contact with SanDisk to see what they could do and they have just asked me to return the card for a replacement.  As you can imagine I am vexed especially after checking with GoPro before purchasing the card...