Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

I don't think is good idea to return and try another gopro because so many bad reports after few monts using...
I returned to shop it..
Hiker

@saulcustom wrote:
I don't think is good idea to return and try another gopro because so many bad reports after few monts using...
I returned to shop it..

You mean you sent it in for repair or you returned it and going to shop for another action camera?

Hiker

WAKE UP CALL - I don't know about anyone else, but this whole SD Card Error issue has been a serious wake up call for me.  I've begun researching this whole Action Cam thing in detail and shocked at what I'm finding.  Perhaps the biggest PLUS is that the SD Card Error resulted in me returning the Hero 5 Black as defective at Best Buy and in the process began researching what to do next.  There are like 6 cams on the market now and the professional ratiing sites aren't even including the H5B in the studies.

The one that stands out superior to me is the Sony FDR-X3000 although I don't like that it doens't have a built in monitor (screen) you have to buy the kit at just under $500 in order to see what's being recorded although it is a handy remote in and of itself that would be great when using as a B-roll cam so that one could monitor the camera's video while shooting with another.  Nice idea actually.  Much like the wireless app approach also.

The one that really sounds appealing is the SJcam 5000X Elite that actually has a Sony Sensor in it and the thing is under $150 with like 3 batteries, which would allow one to have a bunch of these things, even practically disposable if you will.

Personally, I want the branding of the GoPro product but I have my fear that it's not going to happen reliably.  Specifically, I worry that what if I do go ahead and buy another one and it works fine like others are indicating and then 4 or 5 months, even 11 months down the road, this SD Card Error thing surfaces and I am right back where I started from?

Is there anyone in here who has had this SD Card Error go away and then resurface or didn't show it's angry self till say a month after purchase?  These things will help me determine whether to go ahead and make a new purchase again, wait, or move on.  In the meantime we are going to try out the Garmin Virb Ultra 30 for anyone interested and now after seeing this one particualar comparison video over on YouTube, try out the SJcam 5000X Elite and would love to hear from anyone who has one of these or tried one.  Thanks to all for your input.  DrD  :-)

That comparison video for those interested is at: Action Cam Comparison  We all know the awesome video quality of the GoPro Hero 5 Black (for the short time we got to use them) and thus, fear not that the the H5B isn't in the comparison probably for that reason.  Dunno?

Hiker

I posted previously that I too was having issues with the SanDisk card. Could not format on GoPro 5 and getting constant errors. I bought a Lexar card and was able to format on the GoPro. No SD errors whatsoever. I will continue to test it and post back.

Tourist

I was using a cheap Kinston card. I went to Best Buy and bought a Samsung Evo 64gb.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-evo-64gb-microsdhc-class-10-uhs-1-memory-card-red-white/4568501....

Put it in and tested at speeds and resolutions.....so far so good...i'll will report back if i get an error

Tourist

@drdimento @danielr15 

Short story - Bad SD card

Long story - Below... 

I called GoPro back this afternoon to inquire as to where my e-mail was that they never sent on Monday.  It turns out they DID send it (this morning) but due to new iPhone settings it was never actually fetched to my inbox.  I spoke with a Conner who was very polite and spoke English natively.  The original e-mail that was sent, that they wanted me to reply with photos of the camera with error message and photo of SD card, also had a link to the MicroSD Card Considerations page.  I told Conner that my SD card (SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB) was on that list.  He was a bit surprised by this.  He mentioned that they have been having issues with the H5B and the Ultras but not, necessarily, the Extremes.  I told him how I went about installing the SD card (formatting on the Mac, inserting in H5B and formatting) and he verified that was the correct methodology.  He suggested that it may be a bad SD card.  I disagreed with him based on the fact that this SD card worked in my Nikon DSLR.  He verified I had firmware update v01.55 on the H5B which I was able to do after 3 attempts (1 via Capture/iPhone app (failed) and 2 from Mac via Quik app (failed on first Quik attempt then succeeded on 2nd Quik attempt).  

I asked him what his/GoPros suggestion was from here.  He suggested I return the SD card I bought and get a new one.  He said that if that didn't work and I still experienced the "SD Card Error" issue then he'd be more than happy to return for warranty replacement which would take roughly 14-16 days from when I send it out till I get it back.  He made notes on my case and we hung up.  

Tonight my wife swung by Wal-Mart, where I bought the original SD card, and returned it for a full refund and then bought a new/different one.  Same exact card.  SanDisk Extreme Plus 32GB.  I opened the card and followed the instructions that Conner gave me (same as above - Formatting on the Mac, inserting in H5B and formatting).  I then took some test shots.  I was able to get past 10 seconds in ALL tests and the video continued till I chose to stop the recording.  Here is some data I recorded.

2 videos at 1080P 60FPS (38 seconds / 15 seconds)

1 video at 4k (1:10s)

Playback on all 3 test videos was good.

Cycled through the menus making changes

Photos function also worked as expected.  

Removed SD card and reinserted.

As far as I can tell with this limited test it appears to be working.  I am a bit uneasy for the possibility that it will one day just stop working again and be at the same place I was 1 hour ago.  Only time will tell.  

This has been my experience and I hope others will find this educational/informative and have just an easy "solution(?)".  If I remember and find time I'll post back later with my continued results whether they be good or bad.  

Anonymous

I had the SD error on new Gopro Hero 5 , and was unable to record 

I got the gopro recommanded SanDisk 64 GB card .

The Card I bought from store is same as recommneded by gopro ( in terms display) , noticed that SD card has V30 ( printed on it) 

this should not make any difference , when I tested with other cards had no issues, so had to return the crad and got new card from different store, which excatly looks like the one on gopro site , without V30 on it and it works perfectly fine 

In my case case it could be coincidence, that card I got first make be faculty one.

Need to try with dfiferent that has V30 displayed on it 

Tourist

@Anonymous

FWIW - Both of the cards I've had have also had V30 printed on them.  One card works and one didn't.