Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

Any luck with this? I am having the same issue. It's so frustrating!

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi, am also having trouble with this. Can't update via the apps or anything. GoPro = unusable atm

Highlighted
Anonymous

Me too - I am so frustrated.  If GoPro staff are reading this, we want a fix asap... I am seriously considering returning this and going for the Garmin...  Smiley Mad

Highlighted
Anonymous

Also having the same SD Error on Gopro 5 but never experienced this with the previous model.  It looks like GOPRO Support don't care.  I'm returning mine.  All those frustrated should return theirs too and that's the only way for Gopro to get their attention. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hey guys! If you were like me and were super excited to get your camera out of the box as soon as you got it then I have what was a fast and easy fix to this problem. As soon as I got my camera, I turned it on BEFORE I inserted my sd card. I kept getting the "sd card error" after about 15 seconds of video recording. I fixed the problem by formatting the sd card in the camera and then resetting the camera to factory defaults with the sd card INSIDE the camera. Once I did this, all my problems went away and I haven't had an issue since.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I having the same SD Error on Gopro 5 but never having this SD ERRORS with the previous model. It looks like GOPRO Support can't reading this
Highlighted
Anonymous

corym66482,

I did the steps that you suggested and the Gopro 5 is still giving me SD Card Error.  I replaced my SD card with another brand that works with my Gopro 4 and the SD Card error did not show so far but another problem came up,   some of the recorded videos are corrupted.

Another problem is my LCD screen at the back of Gopro 5 gets stucked inverted and i have to wait for a long time for it to rotate.  It is set to auto rotate but there is unacceptable lag that i it takes almost a minute for it to return.  There are too many problems with the Gopro 5 that i never encountered with the previous models. It seems that this new model is not yet refined and did not pass strict testing before releasing it to the market.  

Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm in the same boat... purchased gopro 5... purchased micro sd (SanDisk Ultra Plus 32gb) and initially was getting the NO SD error. I've don't just about everything I can think of an currently the card doesn't work... but it did a couple of times. 

First... I put the card in my laptop and formatted it there. Initially it wasn't recognized by my computer, but showed up in Disk Utility. I thought this was a good sign. I erased and formatted the card using disk utility, and then ejected it. I then tried it in the camera... NO GO. 

Second... I put it back in my computer... again the card wasn't recognized (maybe I did something wrong the first time). Opened disk utility... erased, formatted, ejected. Then I put the card back in my computer and this time it was recognized. I then put the card into the Gopro 5... Still NO SD error. Then I formatted in the gopro... this time it worked. However, while recording it hung up and kicked me out. Got a message about repairing a file. Said yes. Seemed ok, but thought I should try formatting again just to be safe. Formatted in gopro... got NO SD error. 

Third... put the card in my EM-1 and formatted it there. Worked great. Put the card in the Gopro... worked. Formatted in gopro... NO SD error. 

At this point I'm feeling that there is an issue with the camera as the card works fine in both my computer and in my other camera without any kind of issues. 

Fourth... I tried another micro sd card... this one seems to work fine with no issues. I have run the formatting in gopro a number of times and so far so good. 

Fifth... I tried the sequence suggested by corym66482 on the card I've been having issues with... NO SD error. 

At this point I'm not sure what to think... It seems strange that a card would work fine in a couple of other devices, but not in the gopro. However, the second card I've been testing (for just a couple of hours... so not that long) seems to be working fine. I'd like it to be the card... That's an easy fix. However, I worry theres a bug in the camera and that it's going to resurface sometime in the future... most likely at an inopportune time. I just wish there was a way to be sure. Also, if I purchase a new micro SD card I wish there was a way for me to know whehter or not it's going to work, or whether it's going to give me similar issues. 

Also... I did update the firmware... so yeah. What to do?