Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

[ Edited ]

Reading this forum, wished I had read it all before and would not have made the mistake of buying a GoPro. Was excited at getting a new cam before a dive trip. Tried all the reformatting methods I have read about and continue to get SD card error. If anyone can resolve my problem they would forever be my hero! Bought a top spec Samsung Evo card, tried a Sandisk Extreme, cant get anything to work. Seller refuses to refund. Will never buy another GoPro.

Highlighted
Tourist

After experiencing similar problems to others with my Hero 5 Black - using the Sandisk cards "recommended" by GoPro I might add - I switched to Lexar Professional cards and have had no problems since (over a year of intermittent use)
Highlighted
Nomad

Sandisk cards have been a constant pain for gopro for a couple of reasons, they had a really bad batch a couple of years ago, during which time gopro actually stopped recommending them. Coupled to the fact that SANDISK are without doubt the most copied/faked cards out there, people buy what they think is a perfectly spec'd card which looks the real deal, when in fact it's some cheap knock off forgery. The buyers then blame the camera because their el'cheapo sandisk with the correct label and packaging is actually rubbish.

Highlighted
Tourist

Whilst it may be true that some individuals problems were due to poorly copied cards this was not the case with me. The original Sandisk card I had was sourced with the camera when bought new and a replacement card - sourced direct from Sandisk through their tediously complicated exchange process - also failed with the same card error faults. The only card I have had any success with is the Lexar Professional series.
Highlighted
Nomad

@bluestar78821 wrote:

Hi,

Can u please send me a link to the exact card you bought?

Thanks

SanDisk Extreme microSDXC UHS-1 V30 Card

Highlighted
Tourist

The card I use in my Hero 5 Black is as follows:

Lexar Professional 64GB microSDXC 1000X 150MB/s Class 10 UHS-I U3 Memory Card
Highlighted
Sightseer

I just got my hero 5 black with a sandisk extreme 32gig and have tried everything to clear the sd  card error. Wow there are 64 pages of comments about this problem all the way back to 2016. I popped the same card in my other camera and it works fine. I don't know what else to do

Highlighted
GoPro

Hi @carloss4067

If you have gone through the steps on this article and it's still the same, please reach out to our Support Team.

They are available by phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej