Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

I  have an option to buy this card, Does anyone know if it will work?

sam.PNG
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @bluestar78821

The SD card that you showed is not among the recommended ones that we have on this list. This list though is not inclusive of all the SD cards that could work with the GoPro cameras but we can only recommend those that we have already tested and proven to work with the cameras. You might want to check other members' posts on this thread to see if this is a good card based on experience. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

thank you
Highlighted
Tourist

I have a question,

Can someone please help me understand?

Why do I need a card with writing speed of 30MB/S while GOPRO HERO 5 writing speed is 7.5MB/S? at 4K

Why can’t I use a class 10 card, with writing speed of 60Mbps=7.5MB/S?

As I wrote earlier it’s working just fine for me so far.

Am I missing something?

Thank you

Highlighted
Explorer

No one is saying you can't, it's just there is a list provided by GoPro of tested cards that are known to work.

Unfortunately, not all cards preform the same, even when the same make/model/size. The listed speeds that manufactures give always comes with the disclaimer "*Up to" before listing the speed. They do this because not all cards that come of the assembly line actually reach those speeds. Another reason is because the max speed is usually only obtainable in perfect lab settings.

As far as the cameras write speed and card compatibility, I don't have specifics to back it up, but my guess is there is more going on when it comes to accessing and locating available space, than just the actual writing time. Cards usually have designations as to what type of resolution they are capable of (HD - 720p, Full HD - 1080p, Ultra HD - 2.7K and 4K). You'll notice that only the fastest of cards get the 4K designation even though most cameras do not write at the speed rating of these cards. So, in short, I don't know why, but there must be a reason.

What I can tell you for certain from my personal experience, SD cards so matter. Also, while there are certain brands and models that tend to work better and be more reliable, two identical cards so not always preform the same. It's not uncommon for someone to report issues with their camera only to find that once they switch to a different card (sometimes the same brand and model) the issues go away. I know for myself, this has certainly been the case on more than one occasion. A perfect example is with my Hero3+. In that camera I use Lexar 633x. Two cards, purchased from the same retailer, identical in every way. After several months with both cards working, one has failed me and I can no longer use it in the camera. The other one, now several years and with extensive use, still works fine today.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thanks

Highlighted
Tourist

I read that samaung pro is sutible for hero 5

is it include this one as well?

sam pro.PNG
Highlighted
Explorer

I have never tried that one. You can always call Samsung and they will tell you if they feel the card is compatible. However, it's always best to just stick to the cards on the GoPro recommended list.