Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

Thanks all.

If i had the money for hero 6 i wouldn't have bought hero 5 so upgrade is not an option at this point.

Both cards were tested ana formatted on my PC PRIOR their use in the hero 5. the second card i also tested in my s7 edge phone. They were working fine! After some test photos and videos with the go pro they got corrupted and now are not recognised by both PC and phone. So is hero 5 corrupting cards - i am 100% sure it is

Highlighted
Tourist

Interesting that the Hero 6 seems to work out of the box. It only goes to show that GoPro probably recognised the fault with the 5 at some point and engineered it out of the later model.

After going through the pain of countless faults with card errors on my Hero 5 I eventually got some degree of reliability but by that time I'd lost all confidence in relying on it for filming key moments. Mine now sits in a drawer pretty much unused and I certainly wouldn't risk buying anything else from GoPro as their customer service on this issue alone sucks.
Highlighted
Nomad

@graystorm70214wrote:
Interesting that the Hero 6 seems to work out of the box. It only goes to show that GoPro probably recognised the fault with the 5 at some point and engineered it out of the later model. . . . . 

I can truly understand your frustration.  I shared that frustration many a day only I have learned with all these technology companies that when the incidence of returns rise to monumental proportions, action to correct shorly follows.

If you want, check back with me in the next month as I'm adding more Hero 6's to the line up as well as another M6 to cut with them in a nice venue the first of July.  You'll know for sure first hand if other boxes of the Hero 6 are functional, as I will just grab another from Best Buy and I hold back no bars on reviews or comments when there are failures.

I have produced at least a dozen plus projects with the Hero 6 straight out of the box and fine tuned to my liking, although I HAVE NOT updated the software nor do I plan to as I've read too many horror stories after updates.  I will at some point though.

My workflow is:  insert microSD card > format in the Hero 6 > photo/film > remove the microSD card > put microSD card in SD card adapter > off load photo/video > return microSD card to Hero 6 > format in . . . etc.  I do not use the GoPro app as I never use apps to gather information off cameras, I always offload directly.

SUGGESTION:  You might put the Hero 5 on ebay and explain your experience.  There are repair houses and geeks that buy non-working items.  My wife dropped two different iphones in water and I put them on ebay, noting that they had been in water and the displays were not working and they were non-functional and both sold for decent (not fabulous) money.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have tried all of the above and I still get card read errors on some cards and not others. This has been an expensive issue as most of the cards are 128GB.  I surprised G0Pro has not address this issue. My job is to use the cameras not trouble shoot their problems.

Highlighted
Tourist

Hero 5 Black sd error customer support

Very disappointed in GoPro customer service. I have two GoPro Hero 5 Black cameras that have the typical SD card errors. After being put on hold off and on for over an hour, I finally was allowed to talk to a supervisor. Turned out that was useless as well. GoPro support is denying there is an issue with the cameras in general-but an issue with individual cameras. Obviously that is not true-look at this forum.  This type of support is unacceptable.

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error customer support

Hello @swiftbeach40717

Thank you for contacting Support. It would be best to continue working with them on this matter. If the camera units that you have are detected to be faulty, then a replacement is deserved under standard warranty process. We can only answer questions and offer troubleshooting guides here at the Hub. It would be best then to reach out again to support, 

Thanks, 

Marius

Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error customer support

@swiftbeach40717 wrote:

Very disappointed in GoPro customer service. I have two GoPro Hero 5 Black cameras that have the typical SD card errors. After being put on hold off and on for over an hour, I finally was allowed to talk to a supervisor. Turned out that was useless as well. GoPro support is denying there is an issue with the cameras in general-but an issue with individual cameras. Obviously that is not true-look at this forum.  This type of support is unacceptable.

You are so right @swiftbeach40717 in the performance of the Hero 5.  I had personally purchased two of them and returned both of the for the same exact reasons, fortunately within the return grace period at Best Buy.  Moreover, many of my personal friends had the same thing happen to theirs.  However . . . 

There is HOPE.  The Hero 6 has resolved those issues; although I have never updated my Hero 6's from whatever they were out of the box nor have I let the GoPro App and the Hero 6 talk to each other just to avoid any potential problems as others have encountered.  The Hero 6 is stable, no SD card issues and the video, stablization, and usability of the unit is exactly what I wanted from the first Hero 4 Silver and Hero 5 Black that I puchased and returned.  I have em in the Hero 6 and am finally getting to use them over and over again and again.  So, if you can afford to take the hit, get them working, ebay em, and get the 6.  It's everything you wanted in a GoPro and more.  Much more.  They still are a bit pricy in my book and instead of 6 of them, for a couple bucks more I can have a true DSLR when I don't need a true "action camera."

Highlighted
Sightseer

Just got.my hero 5 black out the box this afternoon and have.found.myself here. 2 different micro SD cards and no ability to use the thing.

And.60 pages of SD card errors.on their community forum.....

Not.a.solid indictment of the product. I'll be getting a.refund.asap.

Frustrating.