Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

[ Edited ]

So just an update, I've formatted the micro SD (I am using SanDisk - Extreme PLUS 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Class U-1 Memory Card - Red/Gold) via PC and Hero 5 and it still says SD Error. I have also updated to the lastest firmware, completed the steps and confirmed successful update but it's still saying so. Lastly, I tried another SD Card and photo option is fine and saving but whenever I'm on video mode it won't save as it has the same **bleep** problem which causes my camera to not recognize voice command, so I only have one option which is to turn it off and turn back on. The corrupted file will either be repaired successfully or not upon startup. SO I finally phoned Best Buy and the agent said to bring it back in store as this seems like a defective unit. WTF right.

Highlighted
Explorer

DO NOT USE SANDISK ULTRA!
The Sandisk Ultra is not in the recommended list of SD cards and has a long history of causing issues with GoPro cameras.

Also, this is a user forum. Sometimes GoPro moderators do come on and offer solutions, but this is not the place to post issues if you are looking to get GoPro customer support. If you want to get direct support from GoPro please contact their customer service.
https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus
This support community has been provided by GoPro so that we the users can assist one another and offer support, tips, and experience. If you read through the forums you will generally find the solution. If not, contact GoPro customer support directly.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Same issue here. Card working in DSLR, and Hero4 but not in Hero5. This sounds very much like a camera fault, is this confirmed by others?
Highlighted
Explorer

@Anonymous

What SD card are you using?

Highlighted
Anonymous

San Disk Extreme 64GB

Highlighted
Anonymous

I have just carried out 2 formats of this San Disk Extreme 64GB microSDXC (for action cameras) using the PC, the card works for video recording in a Hero4 and a Sony DSLR (recorded for 15 mins each). I then used the same card to do a firmware update in the Hero5. That worked ! However after a minute or so of video recording the camera "losses connection" to the SD card and says "SD Card Error". This behaviour is weird and in my 15+ years of experience with cameras and cards this is a problem with the camera hardware not the card... and in the absence of a clear answer from GoPro I will be sending this camera back and will wait for a "second batch" of these cameras to surface becuase an unreliable camera is a worthless camera.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Same problem here.. i just bought the Gopro hero5 and i'm using the Sandisk Extreme 32 gb. After 10 secs filming or shooting some pictures the Gopro says: SD Card error, No SD... Can someone please help? It seems like this is an common problem for the new gopro's?!?!

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

Hello just an update... I had my Go Pro changed to a new unit and tried the same SD Card, same error occured. So I had my SD card replaced to a new one and this time, it worked wonders. I am still using the same Sandisk Micro SD model that came free with the bundle from Best Buy (SanDisk - Extreme PLUS 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Class U-1 Memory Card - Red/Gold)  and it was ok this time around.