Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

Just like to confirm that I've had some feedback from Sandisk after e-mailing them a couple of days ago about the problem with my 64Gb Extreme card hitched up to my Hero5.

To be honest they have been very proactive in the exchanges and after confirming the spec and serial number of my card they have offered to replace it without any hassle. They do not offer refunds. Just a shame that there has obviously been a problem from the outset - perhaps with a particular batch of cards - that seems to have taken a while to resolve not helped by the fact that Gopro have actively promoted Sandisk cards and therefore sold them by the bucket load. Just pleased I've got some professional service. I hope the Lexar works when I finally get it.   

Highlighted
Hiker

@m18ntt wrote:

Just like to confirm that I've had some feedback from Sandisk after e-mailing them a couple of days ago about the problem with my 64Gb Extreme card hitched up to my Hero5.

For whatever it's worth, according to producers I've been in contact with this week in Pittsburgh, they have had success with SanDisk cards whose read/write speeds are 90+mbs on both read and write with the GoPro Hero 5's.  I hope to have more details this next week.  Just some thoughts.

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Just a reminder, anyone who has had success with SanDisk cards please post the exact type of card you are using and again, the exact crds that are working successfully will probably not show up in here because there wouldn't be a reason to post; all is well.

Highlighted
Tourist

So I have just spent 3 weeks of cursing and wasting time trying to format my SanDisk SD cards... yes that's 'cards' in the plural as Go Pro recommended I return my first Sandisk Extreme 64g and buy another in case it was just an iffy card. So I did just that. They didn't mention that there had been hundreds of people with the same problem with that particular brand and to try another brand! So after spending yet another day wasted trying to format my second card I luckily read this post, I have returned my 2nd SD card to Amazon (Thank God for their returns policy) and I have ordered the Lexar633. Fingers crossed I'll finally be able to use my Christmas present tomorrow when it arrives or else I'm returning and buying a Garmin which will be slightly annoying as I'll have to return all the accessories I've since bought to go with the Go Pro. 

Personally I think Go Pro should take them off the recommended compatible cards list until the issue is completely sorted! I've emailed the this to the tech guy that dealt with my problem(s). I'll see what he says! 

Highlighted
Tourist

I went back to Sandisk as I had not kept the packaging from my 64Gb Extreme card so couldn't get a refund.

After confirming the details of my card Sandisk agreed to replace it. Its a bit of a long-winded process as they dont want the old card back but I have had to send photos of the card (front and back) to confirm that the serial number is from the presumably dodgy batch then further photos showing that I have cut the card in half. I suppose this is so that you don't benefit from having two cards for the price of one (although I don't have any other hardware that uses a micro SD, so I personally had nothing to gain anyway). Now that I have complied with their requests I am wating for a replacement card.

On an equally happy note I finally received my Lexar replacement card today (a Professional 1000x) and so far I have recorded three clips of up to 6 minutes each with no faults. The videos also play seemlessly when uploaded to my pc (another quirk of the original Sandisk card) as I was getting very sporadic and jerky playback presumably a sign that the original card was not reading and / or writing at a high enough speed (even though it was supposed to handle up to 90Mb/s).

Happy days - so far - but I'll be happier once I've got a few more recordings under my belt. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Received my Lexar SD Card today and all is hunky dory! Recorded immediately without needing to format etc. nor did it provide any error messages.

Fingers crossed it stays that way! Time to have fun now :) 

Highlighted
Explorer

@greenflame38653

Smiley Very HappySmiley HappySmiley Very Happy

Fingers crossed.  I've been following your post and hoping you would have a positive outcome.

For those that don't know, this is eerily similar to when the Hero3 came out.  Nothing but issues and all centered around SanDisk cards.  As was the case then, switching to a different SD card (Lexar 633X was the most common solution then), switching to a different SD card now seems to be the best second step if formatting and updating with the manual update doesn't work.  Of course, if you have attempted all of the proposed solutions and are still having issues, contact GoPro Customer Service.

To anyone trying a new SD card (preferably Lexar 1000X or Samsung Pro) that wants to ensure the best chance of performance and chance of success, please try the following:

1. Download the manual update (when you get to the page to download you will press the button twice, once to create the firmware and a second time to download)
  2. Put the Update (not Update.zip) folder on your SD card
  3. With a fully charged battery...
  4. Put the SD card into your camera and allow it to complete the update (it will power on and off so wait for the check mark on the front screen)
  5.  Format your SD Card in your HERO5 Black
  6.  Power your camera down using the side button
  7.  Remove the battery and wait 15 seconds
  8.  Remove the SD card
  9.  Re-insert the SD card
  10.  Re-insert the battery
  11.  Power on your camera using the side button
  12. Connect to the Capture app and scroll to the bottom of settings and press Date/Time to set the date and time on your camera
  13. Take two pictures
  14. Record a test video

This should work to fix the majority of issues.

If you are trying a new Lexar 1000X or Samsung Pro/Pro+ and still having issues and have followed the steps above, the problem is most likely with your particular camera.  Contact GoPro Customer Service or return the the store where you purchased the camera and arrange for an exchange.  When contacting GoPro customer service give them a detailed explanation of the steps you have taken and the SD card(s) that you have tried.  This will speed the process.

Regards,

Daniel

Highlighted
Tourist

For Hero 5:
Power off and pull the battery for 10 seconds.
Reinsert battery and power on.
Swipe down, go into preferences and Format SD.