Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

do you think the issue is the read/write speed?  The SanDisk says "Up to 90/60 MB/s read/write speeds" where as the Lexar says upto "150MB/s)!

if so surely GoPro should make this utterly clear??!?!?

Hiker

I don't think it has to do with the speed. My Samsung Cards (Pro and non Pro) have speeds about 90-95 and still work flawlessly.

Tourist

hmmm...  still not impressed...  and its odd that i am not the only person to have issues...

Hiker

[ Edited ]

Not really - I use the Lexar 633x, which is much slower than the Sandisk or the Lexar 1000x and it works flawless.

It looks more like a communication issue between camera and SD. Let's not forgett, that a SD is a highly complex data carrier. It also includes a controller for arranging the data transfer to and from the memory. It could be that they produced a badge of cards with a specification, which does not work with Gopro. The strange thing is that not all Sandisk Cards create a problem - there are many users out there reporting that their Extreme works well for them and then there is the group of people here who had problems with the card. I do not believe that this applies to a specific badge of Gopro's since the problem is wide spread. In the end it is something Gorpo and Sandisk have to sort out. There was a similar problem when releasing the Hero 3 Black. Sandisk cards created massive problems with the Hero3. The problem was at Sandisk's end. I am just surprised that despite all the negative feedback Gopro has not decided to remove the Sandisk cards from the recommendation list. 

In any event, if you buy a Lexar or Samsung Pro Plus card the problems will immidately disappear. This is reported by users in this thread but also in other user groups. 

Tourist

many thanks for you opinion.  i think you hit the nail on the head by asking why gorpo haven't stopped suggeting sandisk sd cards!

if there is any sort of issue with a brand of card then they shouldn't promote it!

i now have a £30 card which i can't return all because of the advice and recommendation by gopro..  poor poor poor.... 

Highlighted
Explorer

I'm glad to hear that SanDisk is replacing the card. SanDisk really needs to release a statement that there was an issue with their cards. I wonder if there is a way to identify the cards that were manufacture with the defect.

I see that GoPro is selling them again so I assume SanDisk fixed the issue on this newer batch of cards. GoPro wasn't out of stock, the cards were completely removed. Since the cards were removed after the firmware update and are back without a new firmware update being issued, I assume this must have been a SanDisk issue that SanDisk had to fix.
Tourist

interestingly i have just found an old 2GB SanDisk card which came with an old phone of mine and it works fine!!! 

Explorer

That's just the thing, some (probably most) SanDisk cards (except Ultra, don't trust Ultra) do work. The cards on the list for consideration that GoPro put out are all cards that they tested. But, this was over a year ago. GoPro can't be the one to blame when it's clearly SanDisk once again (I had the same issue with my Hero3 Silver) is to blame. I suggest contacting SanDisk and arranging for an exchange or if you can, return it to the store where you bought it. Returning it to the store has the benefit of informing sales staff that some SanDisk have issues and maybe they should stop upselling every GoPro customer these crappy cards.