Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

Hope I don't get flamed again for not presently being a GoPro Hero 5 Black owner, but I so badly want to be an owner and continue to do research on this matter in the hopes that I can order a GoPro (ASAP) now that the prices have come down 15%.

So, would like to talk to one or more who have a GoPro Hero 5 Black and had tried a SanDisk microSD card that seemed to be the problem.  Here's why, a long time ago an off brand SD card failed and so I tore the thing apart and discovered that the card has a chip in it just like all other technology devices.  I then took my oldest, and also smallest, and tore it apart to learn that it too had a technology chip.  Armed with this information and trying to keep my mind focused on this thread objectively as I search high and low for a solution before my next biggie multi-camera shoot in March, it occured to me that the microSD card and GoPro Hero 5 Black firmware might not be compatible.  Thus, after contacting SanDisk and researching this matter further, I've found this:

"Some card readers or host devices are not compatible with the larger SDHC and SDXC cards. If the reader or host is not compatible with the larger capacity the card will be re partitioned to a size that is supported.  For example if your card reader or camera is compatible with a SDHC card with a maximum capacity of 32GB using this reader or camera to format a 64GB SDXC card will result in the card being re partitioned to 32GB (~27GB usable capacity)  If you experience this issue you will need to use a reader or host that supports the full capacity of the card and use the SD formatter to recover the full capacity.  WARNING: Formatting will erase all data on the card. Back up all your data before proceeding."

Thus, it may be possible that the GoPro Hero 5 firmware is not configured to this SD card firmware requirement and/or the SD card does not recognize its' total format capability due to the firmware compatibility between GoPro's format/size compatibility if the card is formated and has a GoPro firmware size that isn't compatible with GoPro's usage requirement.  Thus, the incompatibility results in an immediate "SD Card Error".

HOPE !!!  There is a SanDisk SD Card formatter tool to overcome this issue which updates the SD Cards firmware to enable device hardware whose format and usage firmware isn't compatible with SanDisk's most recent format and usage firmware.

TEST - Thus, I'm looking for someone who, like me, has a bunch of SanDisk microSD cards and wants to be able to use them in their GoPro Hero 5, like I will want to do also, and who like me has already had issues with their GoPro Hero 5 and had used a SanDisk card when the error occurred . . so that, you can try the SanDisk update tool from SanDisk and see if that resolves the issue(s) with micoSD cards.  I want someone to do this quickly as I want to make my purchase of GoPro Hero 5's quickly.

Thanks to all who read this and hope this post isn't out of line with the spirit of the thread.

Highlighted
Hiker

I got two Samsung cards (32GB Pro, 64GB Pro), which work perfectly well with my Hero 5. SanDisk, like with so many others, didn't.

Highlighted
Hiker

@niconj would you like to try the update tool on your SanDisk cards and see if the card(s) then work(s) on your Hero 5?
Highlighted
Hiker

I cannot do it as I returned it to Amazon and got my money back. With this money I then got the Samsung. Would be interesting to know though.

btw.: Another thing I cannot do is change my user Name. Anyone knows how?

Highlighted
Anonymous

Had problems with my San disk extreme plus. 64gb similar to the one a few above. I had this problem but have bought just the extreme and it works fine. Now other issues are the problem. Turning itself off and on. Freezing on a dark screen. It's brand new!! Not as happy with it as expected.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Would be happy to try the SD card reader tool. Just new to the GoPro game.haha.
Highlighted
Tourist

Good to hear the Lexar card works for you. I thought I had finally cracked the problem with my Sandisk Extreme card yesterday after visiting the Gopro site and following the instructions to download a fix via my laptop - extracting files from a zip folder then transferring to my camera. After patiently watching my camera go through all manner of starts and stops the process completed with a successful tick on the display. I then recorded 10 short video clips (up to 2mins each) at various resolutions up to 4K @ 30fps without a hitch including turning the camera on and off a few times in between. Today I've re-started my camera and jumped straight back in to repeated card errors. Now waiting for a Lexar card to be delivered which will hopefully cure the problem but now well out of pocket and very frustrated. 

Highlighted
Hiker

@Anonymous wrote:
Would be happy to try the SD card reader tool. Just new to the GoPro game.haha.

@Anonymous 

Awesome.  Could you PM me and I'll shoot ya the link that SanDisk sent me (their website) where you can download the tool and give it a shot.  If it works, together we'll post the results here and I'll go out today and pick me up some GoPro Hero 5 Black's.  Smiley Happy