Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

@Anonymous Your last post was on Wednesday and all was working well now and wanted to learn how your experiences are here on Friday?  Is everything still working well?  And have you recorded a lot of video since Wednesday?

Hiker

@Anonymous wrote:

. . . They let me sent my gopro to them, and after just 3 days i already got an message that they will send an new Hero 5 black back. Now the only thing to do is wait and see if the problem is still there with the new camera. . . 

I don't know how anyone else takes this, but this post appears to be clear evidence that there is definitely a hardware problem on some of the GoPro Hero 5 Black units.  My friend near Phili found his defective also, like me and my friend in Pittsburgh and many here.  I'm not sure how others feel, but it appears that there is a fairly sizable batch of bad ones.  I can't speak for everyone else, but I personally find myself to be the quality control for every corporation in the world.  hehehe.  I do hope there is a recall/replacement plan coming forth like Samsung did recently with exploding batteries.  My three cents.  :-)

Highlighted
Anonymous

@drdimento wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

. . . They let me sent my gopro to them, and after just 3 days i already got an message that they will send an new Hero 5 black back. Now the only thing to do is wait and see if the problem is still there with the new camera. . . 

I don't know how anyone else takes this, but this post appears to be clear evidence that there is definitely a hardware problem on some of the GoPro Hero 5 Black units.  My friend near Phili found his defective also, like me and my friend in Pittsburgh and many here.  I'm not sure how others feel, but it appears that there is a fairly sizable batch of bad ones.  I can't speak for everyone else, but I personally find myself to be the quality control for every corporation in the world.  hehehe.  I do hope there is a recall/replacement plan coming forth like Samsung did recently with exploding batteries.  My three cents.  :-)

I think you're absolutely right! I recieved my new GoPro today (after i sent it to GoPro just 4 days ago!!) and after i updated the camera to the latest firmware version everything is working fine. This is definitely an hardware issue.

The fact that, when i sent the email with my problem they didn't really ask any further and promised me a new GoPro is clear enough.

Hiker

@Anonymous wrote:

@drdimento wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think you're absolutely right! I recieved my new GoPro today (after i sent it to GoPro just 4 days ago!!) and after i updated the camera to the latest firmware version everything is working fine. This is definitely an hardware issue.

The fact that, when i sent the email with my problem they didn't really ask any further and promised me a new GoPro is clear enough.

I suspected this from the get-go but didn't want to sing such lyrics too loudly as I was sure it would be an unpopular opinion.  However, it's sure looking that way . . hardware related.  Personally, I think it's the port which upon further inspection will reveal that it is easy to get the card in crooked or at a slight angle.  Why on earth these cameras don't use a regular SD card I don't know.  For the life of me, the size of the camera would change in size by what?  1-2%; geez.   :-)

GoPro

UPDATE: After exchanging the Black for the Session I got home and experience the same SD error. Played around for a couple of days to make sure it was nothing I was doing. Took it back to the shop today where the staff thought it was probably the Sandisk Extreme card. Exchanged the Sandisk Extreme for a Sandisk Ultra (they didn't have anything faster in another brand) and that seems to have fixed the problem. However both the Black and the Session got very hot very quickly meaning you can pick it up but not hold it for long. My theory at the moment is to blame Sandisk, maybe GoPro can play with the algorithms it uses to write to the card. The amount of heat generated by the camera even after a few minutes isn't a good sign. 

Tourist

All,

Last week, I bought a GOPRO Hero 5 Black with a Scandisk Extreme UHS-3 Class 10 64Gb (recommened by gopro) and have same issues like you guys "SD Error" or "SD busy".

I have just bought a Lexar 633x UHS-1 Class 10 64Gb and tested for a couple hours. No issue at all. The SD works perfectly with the camera.

I hope this help you.

Tourist

Yes I believe its the sd card and not the gopro. The 64gb sandisk extreme that came with it errors out but I have a 64gb sandisk ultra and 3 - 32gb sandisk ultras that work just fine. I am just taking the card back to best buy and exchange it for a different brand or model. I dont feel its a bad camera.

Tourist

Hi, same issue with SANDISK EXTREME 64GB (SD Error). The camera generate some heat after a few minutes, i hope that fix it with a new firmware because the SD card works fine in another devices.