Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

I honestly don't think they care.  When I contacted them for a refund I told them about the error and how it messed up my bike trip, they didn't offer any solutions just a refund.  But they were quick to issue the refund and gave me a return shipping label as well.  They must know it's broken and just don't care, like the drone I suppose, they just refund the money. And I thought about buying one of those too!

Explorer

[ Edited ]

Did you call them and ask for a refund and then tell them about your messed up trip, or did you ask them about how to fix the camera and they offered the refund?

GoPro offers a 30 day no questions asked refund policy. I'm guessing they didn't delve deeper because it's their policy to make refunds as easy as possible without pressuring the customer.

As far as caring, I have two thoughts on this. First, this is not an issue on all Hero5 cameras. I'm sorry to hear that it has happened to the people in this post, but seriously doubt this is happening to most people who have purchased the camera. I have both Hero5 cameras and they work flawlessly. Second, GoPro most certainly cares. Although people might think of GoPro as some huge company, they are actually pretty small in comparison to other major brands. What they do have a lot of though, is passion for their product and a desire to give their customers the best experience they can; from their cameras and software to the customer service and this support group. If GoPro didn't care, you wouldn't have this support group, hosted by GoPro, to write about your issues.

Anonymous

Then why don't they try and fix our problems instead of just giving us a refund?

Anonymous

No I emailed them I shouldn't have to call to get support. Of course they should give an easy refund. But I didn't just ask for a refund I went into details about the issue. They could have said of course we will give you a refund but first let us try to send you a new unit or memory card to try. Or something. Having a support forum they never visit isn't a sign of caring. I think they are just in downsizing mode right now in the company. I wanted them to succeed but every they do including their software is a mess right now.
Anonymous

And by the way, as I mentioned I purchased a new hero 5 and so far so good. But I'm worried it will fail too. Sometimes you can love something and be angry at he same time.
Hiker

@Anonymous wrote:
No I emailed them I shouldn't have to call to get support. Of course they should give an easy refund. But I didn't just ask for a refund I went into details about the issue. They could have said of course we will give you a refund but first let us try to send you a new unit or memory card to try. Or something. Having a support forum they never visit isn't a sign of caring. I think they are just in downsizing mode right now in the company. I wanted them to succeed but every they do including their software is a mess right now.

I called them and they sent me here to the Support Forum saying that others had had the same issue and that there appeared to be a solution there that they had no information on a solution as the problem didn't appear to be a major problem; however, they did send me a Customer Response Survey which I filled out.  Hehehe. When I got here there weren't many responses of a problem.

Have you called them now?  And what was their response?

Highlighted
Anonymous

I had the same error with my new gopro Hero 5 black.

After trying two different memory cards and doing everything possible to restart and reinstall firmware on the camera, i went to the Contact form on the website. My experience with the helpdesk is positive so far. They let me sent my gopro to them, and after just 3 days i already got an message that they will send an new Hero 5 black back. Now the only thing to do is wait and see if the problem is still there with the new camera.

Just tell them that you tried everything, maybe try everything again and keep in touch with the helpdesk. Don't act angry (even if you are with an very expensive camera that doesn't work) and they are very helpfull.

Hiker

@Anonymous as you've clearly defined returning your unit and getting another has seemingly resolved the problem; thus a defective unit.  Just wanted to follow up and see how it's going now after a few days?