Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

Thank you very much ­for your quick reply.

We are currently fac­ing some SD card issu­es with some San Disk­ extreme cards. Do yo­u have the chance to ­test your camera with­ a different SD card?

Our development team­ is in contact with S­an Disk to figure out­ what causes the issu­es.

Thanks and best rega­rds

Max R.­
GoPro Support­
www.gopro.com/support
ref:_00Do0HJuF._500o­0J6cOh:re
This is customer support answer
Highlighted
Hiker

I was incountering all the same issues as others, upon receipt of my hero 5 yesterday with the same card. Thus like others was very frustrated to find these problems, having had two other GoPro cameras. Nonetheless, I continued to research and educate. I went thru all the diff attempts to no avail. Upon reading the previously linked write up on various cards, I purchased a Samsung microSDXC UHS-1 Pro Plus 64GB, class 10 U3, 95/90MB, 4K Ultra HD. Removed the battery, installed the card, reinstalled battery, turned it on and formatted the disk. Ran camera for awhile, took some short vids, reviewed, edited them, deleted them, etc. No issues with the camera whatsoever. Now I just need to contact customer support and get a refund for the defective scan disk card that I purchased with the camera.

i feel better now.....Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Explorer

Because I actively comment on the support hub and recommend Samsung Pro/+ cards and Lexar and advise people to stay away from SanDisk, I bought a SanDisk Extreme 64GB from GoPro for my Hero5 Session. It worked for the first few days so I started to gain my trust back in SanDisk.... until little errors started popping up. The first was intermittent "Camera Busy" then a couple lock ups while changing settings.  I took the camera out for another shoot and three times video recording stopped on it's own without me giving voice command or pressing the shutter button.  I re-ran the manual update using my Samsung Pro+ 64GB and have been using the camera for the past few days.  No issues.  If I do get any I'll update this post, but for now I will continue to recommend NOT using SanDisk cards.

I'm glad that GoPro is acknowledging and investigating with SanDisk the issues with the cards, however GoPro PLEASE HALT SELLING SanDisk cards until this is straightened out.Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Anonymous

Experiencing same issue as others while using new Hero 5 Black. Card is: SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card (SDSQXNE-064G-GN6MA). Also tried a SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA) with same problem.

Have been able to get it to work intermittently by following some of the helpful (but also
"absurd for a $400 device") tricks mentioned in this thread. But now after having it throw the error a few seconds in to a one time event (daughters first ride on a roller coaster) I won't trust it until GoPro provides everyone some substantive fix.
Highlighted
Nomad
Nomad

I have a new Hero 5 Session to replace a Hero 4 session. I am using a 64BB Sandisk Extreme U3 which worked perfectly on the Session 4

i too am having problems with the new Session showing "SD error" on startup and asking me whether I want to reformat. I have reformatted the card in both the camera and on my PC. I have also updated to latest firmware and the problem still persists.

what I have found out is :-

1. If you just ignore the message to reformat card, extract the card and put it back in, the Session starts up with no error message
  2. the SD card error message is only displayed the first time you start up after being left off/powered down overnight. Any subsequent power on after going through actions described in 1) are OK
  3. the specific SD  card is advertised on the GoPro site as "GoPro ready" !

so, in the absence of any communications regarding this issue from GoPro, the fact that the card worked perfectly in a previous Session and in other cameras and the lack of confidence in this particular item, I will probably return to the retailer and get a replacement and see if the problem goes away.

Highlighted
Explorer

Or,....Stop Using SanDisk cards.
Highlighted
Nomad
Nomad

Well, it worked perfectly in the Session 4 and is classified as "works with GoPro " on their website so I have a perfectly reasonable expectation that it would work on the Session 5
Highlighted
Explorer

re: SanDisk

If you read the top of page 8 of this thread you will see the reply from GoPro Customer Support regarding SanDisk.  I have a considerable amount of experience in GoPro forums (not just on this site) and I can tell you that there is a very high frequency of people reporting issues with SanDisk cards. If you choose not to try another brand that is fine, but ignoring that it might be a compatibility issue isn't going to get you any closer to a solution. If you are able to test your camera with another card and the problem persist, then it is easier to rule out the card as being the problem. I recommend Samsung Pro/Pro+ or Lexar 633x or 1000x.