Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Adventurer

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error

[ New ]

thousands of camera's are out there. aselect few are awesome to own, and have a few of...

you got a waterproof  case  I use it as anything I buy, one day it will no longer be around and you'' regret the caring for it .    

Nomad

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

thousands of camera's are out there. aselect few are awesome to own, and have a few of...

you got a waterproof  case  I use it as anything I buy, one day it will no longer be around and you'' regret the caring for it .    

I would like to have the case for it that the back is open and/or front and back is open.  I also would like to have a lens cover if there is such thing for it.  I bought my camera on ebay and almost all the things I purchased for the GoPro's work with the Y4K+.   How do I email you in here?

Adventurer

[ New ]

on Ebay got a lens protector, I got  a nd filter as well one is better then the other as on the gimbal it causes a rattle the filter, but ar the same time it protects the  lens.  With the  camera they came out as a pkg deal. so that person or shop did not offer it.    find your profile name and there is the email PM there (you found it )  ( lol )  Yeah  talk is allowed, if hte Posters do not want to hear here, simply  read on.

Nomad

[ New ]

@fishycomics wrote:

on Ebay got a lens protector, I got  a nd filter as well one is better then the other as on the gimbal it causes a rattle the filter, but ar the same time it protects the  lens.  With the  camera they came out as a pkg deal. so that person or shop did not offer it.    find your profile name and there is the email PM there (you found it )  ( lol )  Yeah  talk is allowed, if hte Posters do not want to hear here, simply  read on.

Great I'll check that out.  The gimbal would be especially nice.  I love the external mic feature also.  Works great.  I'd bought one to work with the GoPro puchase (before returning of couse) so I just use it with the Y4K+.  BTW, sent you a PM.

To those not interested in this part of of the convo just pass us over and left here for others benefit who can't get their GoPro's to work either and must have some kind of GoPro alternative.

Adventurer

[ New ]

give the topic a day it will be pages down

Anonymous

[ New ]

We have my daughter's camp photos and video on the SD card so we don't want to reformat as we'll lose it all.  is there any way we can get the photos and video off the SD card please?

Explorer

[ New ]

Take the SD card out of the camera and put it into a USB or SD card adapter.  Plug this into your computer and manually move the files to the folder of your choice.  Once you have safely moved the files to your computer, format the SD card.  Do a full format (not quick) as there may be errors on the card.  Once the card has been formatted in the computer, place it in the camera and format once again.

Anonymous

[ New ]

same issue with same card 

easy fix though all you have to do is re format the card with the gopro in settings and also you need to use the app to update the gopro and it should all work 

Anonymous

[ New ]

Hi,

I got this SD card error now too. I have use my GOPRO Hero 5 Black for less than 20 times.

I have tried reform card in PC, MAC and at camera settings itself. None of these help.

I have tried Update camera in GoPro Quik and it is saying "Could not complete update, something went wrong and the firmware update for HERO5 Black could not be completed. Try again, or contact customer support for help"

Also i have tried Factory settings in camera settings, but no answer for SD card problem.

I just wanna use my camera, hope someone can help me with this problem. 

Anonymous

[ New ]

It worked with my Hero5.

Thanks.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I can confirm that the SanDisk Ultra does not always workin the Hero 5, it gets SD Card Erros most of the time.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Thank Mate this fixed my SD card issue as well
Tourist

[ New ]

Guys, I have found a temporary solution for that issue when you don`t want to format the card etc. Just put it in any phone with the card slot and start the phone. After the start you can just take the card away and put it back in the camera - it will work.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I had the same problem with a Sandisk extreme card (bought in 2016). I tried everything (formatting in different computers with different programs, etc) and my solution was buying a new card. I bought the Samsung pro plus and everything works fine now. Amazing camera btw :) First time gopro user so I’m very excited.
Anonymous

[ New ]

It didn't work for me

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @Anonymous

Here is a list of SD Cards that Work with GoPro Cameras

Once verified, kindly go through the steps listed on NO SD or SD ERR on Camera's LCD

Please reach out to Support Team if you continue to get errors. You may contact them via phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

EJ

Anonymous

[ New ]
I read about this solution too and tried it! but the problem still occurred. I’m so disappointed, I can’t rely on the GoPro to video! No confidence to ensure I get footage.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Thank you for trying out the recommended steps. Let our Support team assist you with further troubleshooting. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Best regards, 

Marius

Anonymous

[ New ]
Bought hero 5 three weeks ago. It corrupted 2 32GB SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-I (from the recommended list). All formatting via the camera or PC were not successful. And they cannot be as the card is not even recognised by the PC. I am very disappointed for the money and time spent on this. Going to return it to the shopper.
Explorer

[ New ]
It is extremely unlikely that the camera, or any device, corrupt a SD card. Much more likely is the cards are: counterfeit and/or have their table altered to show higher storage than they have, were physically damaged, removed while being read, inserted improperly, or have manufacture defects.
Nomad

[ New ]

@Anonymous I highly suggest you reconsider your options.  If you read some of my posts on the Hero 5 in this same thread you will find that I, as many others, tried everything in the world to make our Hero 5's to work unsuccessfully, even though we were told by many in here over and over that there was nothing wrong with our 5's.  Nonetheless, many of us took the option to return our Hero 5's when the so called corrupted cards worked in our drones, video cameras inside a SD card adapter, small pocket cameras, etc.  I returned two of them when the both did similar things as you describe.

There is light in my post my friend.  I found a TOTAL solution in the Hero 6.  It actually works.  And although my experiences with both the Hero 4 and Hero 5 were nothing short of disaster, I've taken my Hero 6 practically to the end of the earth and back and have made several professional productions with them already and am getting to buy some more of them, even wondering if I can get a discount in volume.  Seriously, the 6 worked right out of the box and I "will not" update it out of fear since the return has since expired.

Just my 2 cents worth of thoughts if you have the option to return and upgrade the one that's apparently fixed the problems.

Explorer

[ New ]
Just to clarify my earlier post. I'm not saying that there isn't something wrong with the Hero5 that @Anonymous is using. He should most certainly contact the GoPro Support Team https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs and see if they can help him out. I also whole heartily agree with @drdimento (surprise isn't it) that the Hero6 Black is a much better option. Overall, it's just a much better camera (although my Hero5 is still working great after all this time).

My point isn't that there is not possibly an issue with @Anonymous Hero5, but rather that it is often a misconception that the device itself corrupted the SD card. While not impossible, it's highly unlikely.
Anonymous

[ New ]
Thanks all.

If i had the money for hero 6 i wouldn't have bought hero 5 so upgrade is not an option at this point.

Both cards were tested ana formatted on my PC PRIOR their use in the hero 5. the second card i also tested in my s7 edge phone. They were working fine! After some test photos and videos with the go pro they got corrupted and now are not recognised by both PC and phone. So is hero 5 corrupting cards - i am 100% sure it is

Tourist

[ New ]
Interesting that the Hero 6 seems to work out of the box. It only goes to show that GoPro probably recognised the fault with the 5 at some point and engineered it out of the later model.

After going through the pain of countless faults with card errors on my Hero 5 I eventually got some degree of reliability but by that time I'd lost all confidence in relying on it for filming key moments. Mine now sits in a drawer pretty much unused and I certainly wouldn't risk buying anything else from GoPro as their customer service on this issue alone sucks.
Nomad

[ New ]

@graystorm70214wrote:
Interesting that the Hero 6 seems to work out of the box. It only goes to show that GoPro probably recognised the fault with the 5 at some point and engineered it out of the later model. . . . . 

I can truly understand your frustration.  I shared that frustration many a day only I have learned with all these technology companies that when the incidence of returns rise to monumental proportions, action to correct shorly follows.

If you want, check back with me in the next month as I'm adding more Hero 6's to the line up as well as another M6 to cut with them in a nice venue the first of July.  You'll know for sure first hand if other boxes of the Hero 6 are functional, as I will just grab another from Best Buy and I hold back no bars on reviews or comments when there are failures.

I have produced at least a dozen plus projects with the Hero 6 straight out of the box and fine tuned to my liking, although I HAVE NOT updated the software nor do I plan to as I've read too many horror stories after updates.  I will at some point though.

My workflow is:  insert microSD card > format in the Hero 6 > photo/film > remove the microSD card > put microSD card in SD card adapter > off load photo/video > return microSD card to Hero 6 > format in . . . etc.  I do not use the GoPro app as I never use apps to gather information off cameras, I always offload directly.

SUGGESTION:  You might put the Hero 5 on ebay and explain your experience.  There are repair houses and geeks that buy non-working items.  My wife dropped two different iphones in water and I put them on ebay, noting that they had been in water and the displays were not working and they were non-functional and both sold for decent (not fabulous) money.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I have tried all of the above and I still get card read errors on some cards and not others. This has been an expensive issue as most of the cards are 128GB.  I surprised G0Pro has not address this issue. My job is to use the cameras not trouble shoot their problems.

Anonymous

Hero 5 Black sd error customer support

[ New ]

Very disappointed in GoPro customer service. I have two GoPro Hero 5 Black cameras that have the typical SD card errors. After being put on hold off and on for over an hour, I finally was allowed to talk to a supervisor. Turned out that was useless as well. GoPro support is denying there is an issue with the cameras in general-but an issue with individual cameras. Obviously that is not true-look at this forum.  This type of support is unacceptable.

GoPro

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error customer support

[ New ]

Hello @Anonymous, 

Thank you for contacting Support. It would be best to continue working with them on this matter. If the camera units that you have are detected to be faulty, then a replacement is deserved under standard warranty process. We can only answer questions and offer troubleshooting guides here at the Hub. It would be best then to reach out again to support, 

Thanks, 

Marius

Nomad

Re: Hero 5 Black sd error customer support

[ New ]

@Anonymous wrote:

Very disappointed in GoPro customer service. I have two GoPro Hero 5 Black cameras that have the typical SD card errors. After being put on hold off and on for over an hour, I finally was allowed to talk to a supervisor. Turned out that was useless as well. GoPro support is denying there is an issue with the cameras in general-but an issue with individual cameras. Obviously that is not true-look at this forum.  This type of support is unacceptable.

You are so right @Anonymous in the performance of the Hero 5.  I had personally purchased two of them and returned both of the for the same exact reasons, fortunately within the return grace period at Best Buy.  Moreover, many of my personal friends had the same thing happen to theirs.  However . . . 

There is HOPE.  The Hero 6 has resolved those issues; although I have never updated my Hero 6's from whatever they were out of the box nor have I let the GoPro App and the Hero 6 talk to each other just to avoid any potential problems as others have encountered.  The Hero 6 is stable, no SD card issues and the video, stablization, and usability of the unit is exactly what I wanted from the first Hero 4 Silver and Hero 5 Black that I puchased and returned.  I have em in the Hero 6 and am finally getting to use them over and over again and again.  So, if you can afford to take the hit, get them working, ebay em, and get the 6.  It's everything you wanted in a GoPro and more.  Much more.  They still are a bit pricy in my book and instead of 6 of them, for a couple bucks more I can have a true DSLR when I don't need a true "action camera."

Sightseer

[ New ]
Just got.my hero 5 black out the box this afternoon and have.found.myself here. 2 different micro SD cards and no ability to use the thing.

And.60 pages of SD card errors.on their community forum.....

Not.a.solid indictment of the product. I'll be getting a.refund.asap.

Frustrating.
Nomad

[ New ]

@granddusk81166 wrote:
Just got.my hero 5 black out the box this afternoon and have.found.myself here. 2 different micro SD cards and no ability to use the thing.

And.60 pages of SD card errors.on their community forum.....

Not.a.solid indictment of the product. I'll be getting a.refund.asap.

Frustrating.

Good Thinkin' Boss !!!  That's what I did with the 4 and two 5's.  The 6 however I've had total success with.  Oh, and a friend of mine got a 5 for Christmas and just now told me he had it as he wanted to set it up to go to Hawaii this week and I went to his house and after start up, format of the card, it went blank and would not come on again.  We did everything in the world that I've listened to on here and nothing.  DOA.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello!

@granddusk81166 

@drdimento

I am sorry for any troubles caused.

What SD cards have you tried so far?

If you’re getting an ‘SD ERR’ message on your camera’s LCD screen, this means that your camera can't properly communicate with the SD card.  Here are some steps you can take to resolve the issue: 

Please note: Ensure that you back up any pictures and/or videos before you proceed any further to prevent loss of footage.

If you are seeing 'SD ERR' or 'SD ERROR'

1. Make sure that the SD card is fully inserted in the camera.
  2. Please enter the Settings menu and select the trash can icon to Delete All/Format your SD card. You can also format the SD card using the GoPro App or your Mac / Windows computer. This will wipe the SD card clean of all data including any potential issues that may have been causing the error. Exit your settings menu and the camera should return to a normal display. 
  3. If after performing the troubleshooting above, you see this error after recording in a high-resolution or -frame rate mode, it's likely that your SD card is unable to keep up with the camera's output. For further validation, please try a secondary card from our Recommended List for the best performance.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

hello all,

I’ve been having the “sd card error” issue as you guys with san disk extreme 32GB u3 red and yellow. I have hero 5 black.

Did all the recommended fix with no luck.

Today before I went to order the alternative card (samaung/Lexar)

I tried to operate with “sandisk ultra 64GB A1 class10 (gray/red)

And…it works just fine!!  WTF!!! With 10MB/S bitrate how come

I’m already shooting 15min straight on 4k 25fps

Now I am confused maybe my extreme card was a faulted one?

Maybe we don’t need such high end card over 10MB/S?

Or maybe extreme edition is really a problem.

Your thoughts.

Explorer

[ New ]
SanDisk release some bad SanDisk Extreme cards right around the time the Hero5 Black came out. The latest Extreme (the one with v30 printed on the card) seems to be much better. I can't remember if it was on this site or on reddit, but there were some users who reported that they contacted SanDisk who acknowledged the issue with the card and replaced it for them. You should try contacting them and see if they will exchange the card.

The other possible issue is your card might be counterfeit. It's not as common with 32GB cards as it is with 64GB and larger, but it does happen. If you purchased from a reputable source (not Amazon), then this is unlikely, but worth looking into.
Tourist

[ New ]

can anyone confirm if this card works?

sandisk extreme pro.PNG
Tourist

[ New ]
Do I really need 240Mbps card for gopro? isn't 60Mbps is enough?

I have a drone phantom 3 PRO that shoots 4K at 60Mbps with 10MB/S card in it with no problem.

R we over shooting with the cards here?

Tourist

[ New ]
I went through the pain on Sandisk errors and like many got mine replaced at the time with a V30 card (which is certainly more reliable but not without the odd failure). Sandisk made quite a fuss before exchanging eg I had to provide photo proof of the original card (whole then cut up) before they honoured an exchange and by that time I had already bought a replacement Lexar card anyway. I had about six months of failures and missed filming opportunities (including one holiday abroad) and to this day I still have little confidence that my Hero 5 Black will perform when required. More recently I have taken to using my Camera on a daily basis and after one month of use the Lexar card has operated faultless whilst the V30 card has failed on 3 out of 30 occasions. I'd recommend getting the card replaced but imo it still won't give you 100% guaranteed reliability. I have had no failures of the Lexar card since purchasing last year.
Explorer

[ New ]
My experience with SD cards (all 64GB unless otherwise noted):
Hero5 Black
SanDisk Extreme (2016) - occasional SD error, Camera lock up, and "repairing File"
Lexar 1000X - no issues
Samsung Pro - no issues
Samsung Pro+ - no issues
Samsung Pro Select - Occasional (but less than SanDisk Extreme (2016) Camera freeze and "repairing file"
SanDisk Extreme v30 - No issues

Hero5 Session
SanDisk Extreme (2016) - Camera overheating, battery rapid loss, SD Error, Locking up. It worked for the first week and then gave nothing but issues
Samsung Pro - no issues
Samsung Pro+ - no issues (the primary card I use for this camera)
Lexar 1000x - no issues
Samsung Pro Select - twice got "repairing file"

Hero6 Black
SanDisk Extreme v30 (32GB) - no issues
Lexar 1000x - camera lock up when switching from h.264 to h.265 and vice versa
Samsung Pro - no issues (but not used extensively)
Samsung Pro+ - no issues (but not used extensively)
Samsung Pro Select - camera froze once and one time had "repairing file" (this was before last firmware update on camera)
SanDisk Extreme v30 *64GB - One time unresponsive camera when trying to turn on (reinserted SD card and camera worked fine), one time "repairing file"

Fusion
SanDisk Extreme v30 (2 cards in camera) - No issues

I film events, family, surfing, climbing, mountain biking, hiking, driving and real estate. I do both video and photo (including time/night lapse). I use my cameras 3-5 times a week on average and usually record anywhere from 64GB to 256GB of total footage each week. I usually use Protune, HDR and RAW but mostly turn off Protune if I'm just filming family and making Quik Stories.

I own the Hero HD (original 1080p GoPro), Hero2, Hero3 Silver, Hero3 Black, Hero3+ Black, Hero4 Silver, Hero4 Session, Hero5 Session, Hero5 Black, Karma drone & Grip, Hero6 Black, and the GoPro Fusion.
Tourist

[ New ]

I  have an option to buy this card, Does anyone know if it will work?

sam.PNG
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @bluestar78821

The SD card that you showed is not among the recommended ones that we have on this list. This list though is not inclusive of all the SD cards that could work with the GoPro cameras but we can only recommend those that we have already tested and proven to work with the cameras. You might want to check other members' posts on this thread to see if this is a good card based on experience. 

Best regards, 
Marius

Tourist

[ New ]
thank you
Tourist

[ New ]

I have a question,

Can someone please help me understand?

Why do I need a card with writing speed of 30MB/S while GOPRO HERO 5 writing speed is 7.5MB/S? at 4K

Why can’t I use a class 10 card, with writing speed of 60Mbps=7.5MB/S?

As I wrote earlier it’s working just fine for me so far.

Am I missing something?

Thank you

Explorer

[ New ]
No one is saying you can't, it's just there is a list provided by GoPro of tested cards that are known to work.

Unfortunately, not all cards preform the same, even when the same make/model/size. The listed speeds that manufactures give always comes with the disclaimer "*Up to" before listing the speed. They do this because not all cards that come of the assembly line actually reach those speeds. Another reason is because the max speed is usually only obtainable in perfect lab settings.

As far as the cameras write speed and card compatibility, I don't have specifics to back it up, but my guess is there is more going on when it comes to accessing and locating available space, than just the actual writing time. Cards usually have designations as to what type of resolution they are capable of (HD - 720p, Full HD - 1080p, Ultra HD - 2.7K and 4K). You'll notice that only the fastest of cards get the 4K designation even though most cameras do not write at the speed rating of these cards. So, in short, I don't know why, but there must be a reason.

What I can tell you for certain from my personal experience, SD cards so matter. Also, while there are certain brands and models that tend to work better and be more reliable, two identical cards so not always preform the same. It's not uncommon for someone to report issues with their camera only to find that once they switch to a different card (sometimes the same brand and model) the issues go away. I know for myself, this has certainly been the case on more than one occasion. A perfect example is with my Hero3+. In that camera I use Lexar 633x. Two cards, purchased from the same retailer, identical in every way. After several months with both cards working, one has failed me and I can no longer use it in the camera. The other one, now several years and with extensive use, still works fine today.
Tourist

[ New ]

Thanks

Tourist

[ New ]

I read that samaung pro is sutible for hero 5

is it include this one as well?

sam pro.PNG
Explorer

[ New ]
I have never tried that one. You can always call Samsung and they will tell you if they feel the card is compatible. However, it's always best to just stick to the cards on the GoPro recommended list.
Tourist

[ New ]

I had the same problem but followed your steps of;

1) format the Micro SD card inside the GoPro 5 Black

2) reset GoPro to factory default settings.

Then without turning off the camera I hit record and suddenly it worked.

Thanks a million for the info mate. Cheers.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi all,

I went out and bought the "Lexar 32GB High-Performance UHS-I"

It's working fine but, at the end let's say there is 3 GB left on the card there is no sound to the record 

Is this normal?

And it happened even with shooting 1080p 90fps

Tourist

[ New ]

I had the problem but I got a solution to it.

I bought a new SanDisk Extreme 64gb microSDXC Uhs-i Class 10.

This is listed as one of the compatible MicroSD cards by GoPro for the 5 Black.

When it arrived I formatted the SD card first and vola it worked right off the bat. No more problems.

Nomad

[ New ]

@bluestar78821 wrote:

Hi all,  I went out and bought the "Lexar 32GB High-Performance UHS-I"

It's working fine but, at the end let's say there is 3 GB left on the card there is no sound to the record 

Is this normal?  And it happened even with shooting 1080p 90fps

I have the Hero 6 and using SanDisk Extreme PLUS Micro SD V30 HC I U3 A1 without a single issue at all.

The path getting to this successful GoPro use point has not been easy however.  The trail led me through a bad experience with both Hero 4 and multiple Hero 5's, all of which I returned to Best Buy for full refund, but the current set up mentioned above works flawlessly.  Be advised that I have not updated the software nor allowed the GoPro app to communicate with the unit since purchase due to all the horror stories I've read about in this post.  Moreover, although there might be 1,000 great things the update might do, my camera works and I'm leaving it alone.