Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Sightseer
Accepted Solution

Hero 5 Black audio quality degrades (gets muffled) after 4 or 5 minutes of recording

My Hero 5 Black's audio seems to degrade after 4-5 mins of recording.

What happened:

1) I recorded a concert by affixing the camera in a tripod.

2) Looking over the videos on my mac, the sound quality starts great.

3) After 4 or 5 minutes (it varies per video), the sound suddently becomes muffled. It is a drastic change, as if it suddently something covered the mic. Of course, nothing covered the mic because the camera is just sitting by itself on a tripod with nobody around it, and it happens on every video after 4-5 mins.

I am not using an external mic.

I am using the case that comes with the camera, which is not airtight, so the built-in mic should be exposed/should be able to record audio well.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Any known fixes?

--

I will upload a chunk of video to YouTube so you can hear the sound quality degradation.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 5 Black audio quality degrades (gets muffled) after 4 or 5 minutes of recording

Thanks for sharing a sample file.

Do you notice if there are changes on the raw file?

See if changing the audio settings on your camera will make a difference. Try to switch between Stereo or Wind.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ej

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 5 Black audio quality degrades (gets muffled) after 4 or 5 minutes of recording

Hi @epicwater03632

It will be best if you can share a sample file so we can assess this better.

Thanks!

Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

Hi @aragon1006 , thanks for your response.

Here's an example of what I'm seeing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGMmT4nn2aE

I didn't upload the full ~8-min video.  The sound is fine until the ~5 minute mark. In the clip above, I basically uploaded from 4:50 to 5:10 or so.

Thanks for the help!

Clip showing gopro hero 5 sound degradation after a few mins of footage.
Highlighted
Sightseer

Btw.. I think I've noticed that every time the sound changes, usually there's a loud sound just before it. I also found a clip where the sound quality changes after a few seconds (and there's a loud noise too), instead of a few minutes like in the other clips.  In the clip i linked above, the loud noise is the flute hitting a pretty high note.

So.. my guess is the camera has some sound sensor and if the sound level exceeds some threshold, it starts recording the sound in a different mode or something. Does that sound reasonable?

If there is such a setting, is there a way to disable it?

Highlighted
Sightseer

Well never mind.. I'm seeing many other clips where the sound quality randomly changes, regardless of whether there is a loud noise before or after it.. it just seems kinda random :(

Highlighted
GoPro

Thanks for sharing a sample file.

See if changing the audio settings on your camera will make a difference. Try to switch between Stereo or Wind.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ej

Highlighted
Sightseer

What do you mean by this?

--

Sure, I can test other settings.

Thanks!