Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Hero 5 Black LCD screen blank

I have had the exact same issue:

I only just got the camera as a Christmas present, it does have a few scratches on the plastic sides here and there but that has never caused an issue before hand. I last used it in a rowing session, only recording for about 15 minutes at a time, then it ran out. Once I charged it again it started having this issue. I've updated the camera manually and that hasn't seemed to solve anything. I read somewhere that it might be the sd card I'm using and I'm yet to test that out. I'm just looking for any advice on what to- I'm  trying to avoid returning it but if that has to happen then it will. It's **bleep** well frustrating to spend heaps of money on a camera that doesn't work.

Here's the SD card I'm using:download.jpeg

Highlighted
Adventurer

When I got my Session and that was one of the cards  offered  I quickly tossed it as green lines  were all over the place,

Highlighted
Anonymous

could be an issue with SanDisk's.

Highlighted
Tourist

Same problem here, I just updated the camera firmware using my SD, and the LCD screen still black. My GoPro Hero 5 Black worked when I bought it, but shut off last week and I havent been able to turn it back on. Very frustrating. I can take pictures and record videos, but the LCD is 100% Black... 

Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@coolrange53067 - In that case, I'd recommend contacting our Support team at https://gopro.com/help/PKBContactus so we can help you out.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Adventurer

Anyone having a black screen do you own an HDMI cable to view via a tv???? that to me will verify gopro is working and   the firmware has a Bug, it radomally shurts down the cameras screen.

Highlighted
Tourist

Same problem here (Netherlands). Got my GoPro Hero 5 on wednesday. It worked about 5 minutes. After i put in the SD-card, the screen went black. Even when i use an SD-card from the GoPro list and update my GoPro with the manually firmware-update, my screen stays black all the time. I can take pictures and film, but I can't see what I'm doing. I'm now in contact with support, but I think they can't help me... Hope GoPro wille come with a good solution, otherwise I have to change it for an other action cam...

Highlighted
Anonymous

Yup. Same thing. Got mine ( a replacement for a defective Hero 4).  Everything worked beautifully out of the box. inserted the SD card, let it charge overnight, downloaded the latest firmware, all good. A few hours later  dead screen. You can see it "try" to light up, but nothing. Have a call into tech support, bt looks like a common issue with th hero 5 black.