Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 5 Black LCD screen blank

There are a number of folks who have had similar issues.  I and two friends in Pittsburgh and Cincinnati respectively, have had the same issues and have returned ours and awaiting a fix or maybe a GoPro recall.  I could really use the Hero 5 Black in our operation to the tune of three of them for fixed pro close ups.

Highlighted
Anonymous

I've been in talks with a tech support.

I have done the update, got the check mark and the little screen now only says "Hero 5".  The problem still exist though, no Touch LCD activity, not on...  hope it's not hardware issue now...

Highlighted
GoPro

Hey @Anonymous, 

If you've got a case open with Support, keep working with them and let them know that the update didn't resolve it. They should be able to get you taken care of. 

Highlighted
Anonymous

I updated it successfully but the screen still won't turn on. Please help me resolve this problem.

Highlighted
Anonymous

I just got the blank LCD screen on new Hero5 Black after only about 45 min of recording. Evidently, the firmware can only be updated via the Capture App which needs a password that is displayed on the LCD screen.  What!!

Highlighted
GoPro

@Anonymous, 

The camera can be updated in a couple of other ways too, not just with the Capture App (which would require the screen to be working). Check out the update page HERE. The "Update your camera manually" option would probably be the best for an issue like this. If that doesn't work, hit up Support and they'll be glad to help!

Highlighted
Anonymous

Thank you MattB. Not really...

I was using a Transcend 16GB MicroSD HC card for a while and was able to setup wifi with my iPhone. 
After a few days I used my trusty SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSD XG1 - and now the LCD is blank, but still touch responsive.

Upon search I find most people have this issue with certain SD cards. Then I found your post so decided to manually update the firmware.

Not only was this a horrible piece of advice, but now I am no longer connected to my GoPro's wifi because you suggested I do another manual firmware update.

At least I could access and see everything on my Capture app but now with this, the LCD is still blank and I have no idea how else to reconnect. You should really allow us to rename the camera and setup our own wifi codes so we can reconnect to our phones, or I should just return this. 

Really unfortunate and I am really just going to gauge how GoPro as a company responds to this nonsense.

Highlighted
Adventurer

Remember you  are on a discussion only forum, if you aquire support head over there. 

If you personally feel you are at your wits end, and you have the chance to exchange to return, go for it. if all other options  do not work, that is my advice.

blank screen due to a card, nope, camera crash due to  bricking yes