Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 5 Black Battery won't charge

Hello, I just got a brand new  GoPro Hero 5 Black and tried to charge the battery (using an usb C plus power adapter). The red lights just blinks for a couple a seconds and after shuts down. Same when I remove the SD card.  In both cases, leaving the camera connected for several minutes apparently does not able to charge the battery, as nothing happens activating the mode butto and the camera cannot power-on.

When the camera is connected to the sector, it functions. All menus/functions are available. Any other hypothesis than the battery in the package was out or order? Any other trick to try?

Thank you for any help...

Jean-Pierre

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 5 Black Battery won't charge

Hello @coolboost55871

Sorry to hear about what happened to your camera. This is definitely not an experience that we would like you to have. Does camera power on by itself (without the battery) when connected directly to a power source? If yes, it could be an issue with the battery itself. If this is the case, you can get in touch with our Support team so they can look into options for you. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. 

Let us know how it goes, 

Thanks, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@jptgopro - Try connecting to a different power supply. It's possible that the power adapter you're using isn't outputting a 5V 1-2A charge.

Jeff

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello, thank you for your reply. I checked the power supply and it is delivering the right output. I will check the battery directly at the store. Rgds. Jean-Pierre.
Highlighted
Sightseer

I have the same issue for the second time. I brought the first one back to the store and now the exchanged Hero 5 is doing the exact same thing. Strike 2!! Absolute BS!!! $270 POS!! Last GoPro I ever buy!! Taking this one back too. Looked all over the forums and GoPro is no help. Only fix is to spend the cash on an external batt charger. Screw that, it should work out of the box, especially for $270!!!
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @coolboost55871

Sorry to hear about what happened to your camera. This is definitely not an experience that we would like you to have. Does camera power on by itself (without the battery) when connected directly to a power source? If yes, it could be an issue with the battery itself. If this is the case, you can get in touch with our Support team so they can look into options for you. You can reach them here: https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. 

Let us know how it goes, 

Thanks, 
Marius