Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Find a solution. Share a solution. Ask a question. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hero 5 Black Battery Door Gasket Possible Issues

I'm new go the gopro eco-system and i am just curious if this part is removable and replaceable?

I saw this image from the internet and i was wondering if removing this part is difficult or not.

But my main question is, how sturdy is this rubber gasket that keeps the Hero 5 Black waterproof?

Observation alone the rubber gasket seems very soft and i am curious to how much stress it can take before loosing its waterproofing capabilities.

Has anyone experienced water getting inside the battery door?

door.jpg

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Hero 5 Black Battery Door Gasket Possible Issues

Hi @ronnieryanpc,

Like @danielr15 Mentioned that is not a removable part and is built into the camera. The side door of the HERO5 Black is removable and available as a replacement part, but not the battery door. That seal is going to be as good as the normal housing seal, as long as it is properly maintained. Here is some basic maintenance steps for that HERO5 Black:

• General:
    • After every use in salt water, rinse the camera with fresh water, and dry with a soft, lint-free cloth.
    • We do not recommend the use of any solvents to clean the camera's exterior surface or internal lens.
    • We offer Screen Protectors (sold separately) to prevent surface scratches on the front and rear LCD screens.
  • Lens: 
    • To clean the lens, wipe it with a soft, lint-free cloth.
    • If debris becomes lodged between the lens and the trim ring, flush it out with water or air. Do not insert foreign objects around the lens.
  • Doors, Buttons & Latches: 
    • Rinse the camera with fresh water to flush out any remaining debris, salt or sand. 
    • If debris is caked into the camera, door or button crevices, soak the camera in warm water for 15 minutes to loosen the debris, and then rise the unit under running water.
    • If you find that a button is sticking, we recommend removing the door (if possible) and repeatedly pressing the button under running water. Be sure to take precautions to protect any exposed ports if you are unable to remove the door. 
    • Allow the camera to air dry, or dry it with soft, lint-free cloth.
    • Prior to use, visually inspect all seals and door buttons on the camera to ensure that they are dry and free from debris. 
  • Microphones: 
    • For best audio performance, shake the camera or blow on the mic to remove water and debris from the microphone holes.
    • To prevent damage to the internal waterproof membranes during cleaning, do not use compressed air to blow into the mic holes.

Hope that helps! If you are having an issue with your door definitely let us know.

Cheers,

Ryan

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

I don't believe the battery door is meant to be removed and I don't see it listed as a replacement part.
GoPro

Hi @ronnieryanpc,

Like @danielr15 Mentioned that is not a removable part and is built into the camera. The side door of the HERO5 Black is removable and available as a replacement part, but not the battery door. That seal is going to be as good as the normal housing seal, as long as it is properly maintained. Here is some basic maintenance steps for that HERO5 Black:

• General:
    • After every use in salt water, rinse the camera with fresh water, and dry with a soft, lint-free cloth.
    • We do not recommend the use of any solvents to clean the camera's exterior surface or internal lens.
    • We offer Screen Protectors (sold separately) to prevent surface scratches on the front and rear LCD screens.
  • Lens: 
    • To clean the lens, wipe it with a soft, lint-free cloth.
    • If debris becomes lodged between the lens and the trim ring, flush it out with water or air. Do not insert foreign objects around the lens.
  • Doors, Buttons & Latches: 
    • Rinse the camera with fresh water to flush out any remaining debris, salt or sand. 
    • If debris is caked into the camera, door or button crevices, soak the camera in warm water for 15 minutes to loosen the debris, and then rise the unit under running water.
    • If you find that a button is sticking, we recommend removing the door (if possible) and repeatedly pressing the button under running water. Be sure to take precautions to protect any exposed ports if you are unable to remove the door. 
    • Allow the camera to air dry, or dry it with soft, lint-free cloth.
    • Prior to use, visually inspect all seals and door buttons on the camera to ensure that they are dry and free from debris. 
  • Microphones: 
    • For best audio performance, shake the camera or blow on the mic to remove water and debris from the microphone holes.
    • To prevent damage to the internal waterproof membranes during cleaning, do not use compressed air to blow into the mic holes.

Hope that helps! If you are having an issue with your door definitely let us know.

Cheers,

Ryan

Tourist

Does any one have a replacement door for the Hero Black 5 that I can buy or borrow I’m going on vacation tomorrow and I’m going to scuba dive for the first time. I broke mines yesterday accidentally. Please and thanks
Adventurer

purchase a super suit at a store   that is your best option till you replace the door

Tourist

I’m in New York City and I bought the super suit but gopro customer service told me I can get water damage without the side door...
Adventurer

[ Edited ]

look for ear wax  mold by  https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-Silicone-Earplugs-Value/dp/B003LZQGN6/ref=sr_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qi... they are at walgreens use that  and along with your super suit its in stores.

your local walgreens    check the onlinesite for your local store.

Tourist

Thank you so much man 👍🏻