Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Hero 5 Black Batteries

[ New ]

I bought GoPro Hero Black Batteries From Gpro and I cant get them to work in my camera.

Accepted Solutions
Tourist

Re: Hero 5 Black Batteries

[ New ]
The service person I talked to at GoPro yesterday suggested that I need to update or format my micro SD card but I need save all data to computer first

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @davidl165. If you purchased the HERO8 Black batteries (ones with the blue cap), make sure to update your HERO5 Black camera first before using the batteries in it. There is more information about battery compatibility at HERO8 Black - Battery Compatibility that you may refer to. 

Tourist

[ New ]
So how do I update my older Hero 5 Black?
GoPro

[ New ]

@davidl165. You can do it manually. The steps under Manual Update at Software Update Instructions for HERO5 Cameras will guide you through the process. 

Tourist

[ New ]
The service person I talked to at GoPro yesterday suggested that I need to update or format my micro SD card but I need save all data to computer first
GoPro

[ New ]

That is correct, @davidl165. If you have contents on the SD card, better save them first because they will be erased once you do format the card. A formatted card is necessary for the manual update.