Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Hero 4 silver freezes when playback videos on tv

Knowing you can achieve smooth, uninterrupted video playback on your tv @ 30fps would be good and all, BEFORE I went diving/recording for an entire week in the carribean on my BRAND NEW silver. There should be a memo included in the manual regarding this issue. Wtf
Highlighted
Anonymous

Karls851, many of us are unable to achieve complete playback at ANY RECORDED LEVEL. And despite GoPro offering many fruitless suggestions, the failing playback on TV/HDMI problem persists and they aren't moving to solve it anytime soon
So, a note in your new GoPro stating you just purchased a faulty product that WONT perform the task it advertised is expecting too much.
What they don't tell you is profound and should qualify as false advertising!
Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

The issue is an ongoing one, and needs to be addressed by GoPro.  It has been going on for months.  The fact that they are only responding to this thread approximately once a month tells me that the issue is not a priority in any way.  When they do respond, it is with the solution of lowering the quality of recording.  That is not an acceptable answer.  If the product can't do what it says, then there needs to be a solution offered to the consumer.  Maybe it is time to turn to social media to dramatically increase awareness of the "faulty product".  GoPro does not have a monopoly on the action camera market by any means.  No company can afford negative feedback, especially when it is legitimate, and on a broad scale.  GoPro, we like your product, want to continue enjoying it, are experiencing a genuine issue, we are giving you the chance to correct the problem, but we are still anxiously awaiting a response and an effective solution....

Highlighted
Anonymous

Guys,

I've had the exact same playback issues with the hero 4 silver after the software update (freezing within 10 seconds to 5 minutes, blue screen, unit freeze, etc.).  Now, I've tried a few things and the only thing that has worked for me so far is to play your video files through a memory card reader connected to a blueray player.  I'm not quite sure if any specific brands will make a difference but I have an insignia memory card reader with a micro sd slot, samsung smart tv, and oppo blueray.  All of my videos are 1080p w/60 fps and haven't had any playback issues while viewing them through my blueray player.  I don't consider myself a video file guru but I suspect that the playback issues may have something to do with how the hero 4 unit encodes the video files to my tv???  I could be wrong about this.  But considering this compared with how the my memory card reader and blueray player plays the files, i agree with everybody else that the problem lies within the player.  Anyways, my 2 cents.

-Matt

Highlighted
Anonymous

This is BS. Instead of bragging about the new GoPro Hero 5 and how it can shoot in 8K maybe you guys should fix your old cameras that cant even play back in 1080!! .... Ill wait until its almost the end of my return policy and if its not fixed im returning this FALSLEY ADVERTISED OVER PRICED camera. 

Spoiler
Fix the problem . its bad for business
Highlighted
Anonymous

I had the same problem so what I did was what it says here. I recorded at WGA 240fps, 1080p 24fps (instead of 60fps) and it worked.

Then I played the other videos that previously didn´t work at 1080p 60fps and all of them worked who knows why.

I didn´t updated the software because I already had the latest version nor pass videos to the computer and again to the sd card... anything. I just recorded at less quality and less frames per second and then every video was showed without  problems on my tv.

Let´s hope it stays like that :/

If anyone knows why this happened please reply.

Thanks

Highlighted
Anonymous

I'm having the exact same issue. Have you found the solution yet?
Highlighted
Anonymous

Cam will not play back with hdmi connected. Sound continues but can freezes with blue screen once videos starts to play.