Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Hero 4 silver freezes when playback videos on tv

[ Edited ]

@greyhero075 I hear ya and feel the same way. GoPro suggesting we use their product at only 50% of the advertised capacity due to an apparent mistake on their part while they investigate this is absurd, it's ludicrous! Fine, I say we demand of them "return 50% of our money until you find a solution".
Considering that nearly every facet of this product and it's accessories are proprietary and that those of us who bought the GoPro recommended (required) accessories and are STILL incuring major operating errors, the audacity of GoPro to casually shrug this off with common stall tactics is unprofessional.
Consider the initial price tag of the camera, the follow-up cash flow for the staple of "GoPro approved accessories" and then the robust computing power you'll need to adequately edit/process the highest quality setting of video from the camera, a healthy chunk of change has to be invested.
I believe problems like this can be dealt with in house, I strongly agree with greyhero075. This playback problem with the Hero4 echos with a vast number of people that continues to grow and has been a problem for too long now, you owe it to your customers to quickly and confidently address this problem.
Thank you.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Still having issue playback via hdmi straight from the camera. Will try to record at 30fps and see if that helps. I did not buy this camera to record at a lower frame rate. Please Gopro fix this problem on your next firmware update and soon. Its been a long time since last update.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Same issue here and I have a Hero 4 Black... video freezes and audio continues on playing.

@Anonymous wrote:

Still having issue playback via hdmi straight from the camera. Will try to record at 30fps and see if that helps. I did not buy this camera to record at a lower frame rate. Please Gopro fix this problem on your next firmware update and soon. Its been a long time since last update.

Highlighted
Anonymous

Same headache with HDMI through the camera to the TV
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hello I have the gopro 4 silver one week old, I plugged it in to my TV via the go pro hdmi cable and some of my videos play fine but then the longer duration ones either say can't read the file or it will play then freeze the screen and gopro. 10 second reset required to get going again it's a high end memory card and quality tv. gopro is up to date and card formatted. Any ideas on anything I can do my end? Thanks
Highlighted
Anonymous

I too have a gopro hero 4 I've had it for a year at least and do a lot of videos. The playback through the HDMI freezes for me too after this last update I am very disappointed in this product for that reason. I was also trying to be patient and let them fix the problem but they seem to not care about getting in any kind of hurry to fix it. I feel that if something doesn't happen soon then I'm going to take legal actions to get my money back and comp for all the time and headaches with this. The whole reason for the camera was to share videos but can't share them if you can't play them...
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hello all.  I am having the same playback issues that everyone else is having with playback on a TV.  My wife bought me a Hero 4 silver for Christmas 2015.  I was so excited to have one finally, and I started using it everywhere I went.  That didn't last long, and I am very sad to say that I have only been able to use it a handful of times because I can't playback the videos on my TV.  I bought the official GoPro cord from the GoPro website, not wanting to have any issues with 'generic' cords.  I have had playback for anywhere between five seconds and five minutes before the camera freezes up while still playing audio, I get a blue screen, and I have to reset my frozen camera.  I have two different TV's that I have tried connecting the camera to.  One is an "average brand" TV, and the other is a "top tier" brand TV.  I have had the same issues on both.  It is encouraging, in a way, to know that I am not the only one having issues.  It is very discouraging to see that this issue has not been resolved yet.  I am at the point of returning the camera, along with all of the accessories that have been purchased, and buying another camera from another company if there is no resolution.  I can't be excited about spending roughly six to seven hundred dollars on something that I can't use.  Obviously my wife feels horrible because she bought it for me for Christmas, under the pretense that the product she was buying worked as advertised, and I can't even use it.  I waited for some time to post on here, in order to give GoPro the time to make a concerted effort to address the issue, but as of yet there is still no solution.  Anxiously awaiting a solution...

Highlighted
Anonymous

Hey Guys...found a solution to this problem: I lowered the frame rate to 30 AND lowered the dpi setting to 720 and BAM! Quality looks good. I tried the GoPro issued cable, tried different TVs, and frame rate by itself; nothing. The only thing that worked for my particular setup is lowering BOTH dpi and framerates together. Give it a shot and good luck!!