Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Hero 4 silver freezes when playback videos on tv

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to reiterate my last post for any that may be confused. We are aware of this issue, are currently investigating the root cause, and are working on getting a solution as soon as possible. 

The troubleshooting that I provided in my last post is still useful to try, in case your issue might be caused by another factor, but if it does not resolve the problem then it will be best to hang tight for a fix. 

For the moment, the best workaround is to use your computer to download and view your footage. Using a lower frame rate should also allow you to properly play back the video on your TV. 

Thank you for your patience, and I'll be sure to post back here with any news I've got. 

All the best, 

Matt B.
GoPro Support Hub Moderator

Highlighted
Anonymous

mini hdmi to hdmi on tv.  My gopro4 silver locks up too after 10-30 sec.  Sound continues to play through tv but video freezes and eventually the screen on tv turns blue. Gopro locks up and have to remove and reinstall the battery. GoPro is brand new.  Annoying and Lame.

Highlighted
Anonymous

This post started last September , which should be long enough to identify the problem and come up with a fix . Poor show from go pro , this is a function that any video equipment should handle easily . When will we see a fix , or do we start sending our units in for a refund? 

Highlighted
Anonymous

Glad to know I am not the only one! Just spent 35 minutes on the phone with go pro help and they said nothing about this being a known issue. This is a brand new unit. If I would have known this I wouldn't have bought it.
Highlighted
Anonymous

So what about those of us who have been waiting for you to fix a simple coding error in your software update date since last year!

I've tryed a camera reset, re updating it, everything in your troubleshooting list, it is YOUR software, my friend also had the exact same issue the second he updated his camera.

My gopro used to play back completely fine until I updated it! I reported this to you months and months ago, how is it taking you so long to find the fix? and i don't want the reply "we are investigating it further" how can it take software writers of the caliber a company like gopro must employ to take almost 5months to investgate something and still not have fixed it? I'll tell you why! because you've got our money and you resources are better spent on new buisness, it's disgraceful!

Yes well done you worked out if you record in 30fps it works, but i bought my gopro because i want to record in 60fps! I film a lot of track days in my car, at 30fps you miss things, e.g. flames. so for me 30fps is not a answer.

I suggest you sort this out sharpish as i've been waiting to watch the video of my girlfriends birthday, my holiday and whale watching experience, plus my nurburgring footage back for 5 months, this is unexceptable and i'm sure collectively we all have quite a strong legal case against you for mis-selling this product to us through false advertising. don't believe me? check out the case between apple and the apple watch, exactly the same circumstances. If this is not resolved within the next month i will have know choice but to take legal proceeding for my money back. plus i'm sure many other people would follow suit. sort it!

Highlighted
Anonymous

I just bought a GoPro Hero 4 Silver Edition and the exact same things are happening to my videos when I playback videos on my TV.  I'm about to go on my honeymoon in Hawaii, and it now appears that I wouldn't even be able to watch my own videos on my TV.  It also appears that GoPro is NOT doing anything to fix the issue, since many of these posts are over 6 months old.  GoPro better get this issue fixed very fast or I'm returning mine and I will be finished with GoPro forever... 

Highlighted
Anonymous

@chrisediting: I have a Samsung smart tv and my video playback freezes after about 30 seconds, while the sound continues to play.  I use the gopro cable provided and when I touch any botton on the my gopro, the tv screen turns blue and the gopro freezes, and the only way to unfreeze it, is to pull out the battery and restart it.  This is super annoying considering the price, and the fact that playing video in 1080p/60fps is the reason I bought this in the first place. 

Highlighted
Backpacker

Sorry to hear about that @Anonymous.

This has been the case with the latest update.

GoPro is on this, and you can also suggest this here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/HAVE-FEEDBACK/bd-p/HAVEFEEDBACK

Hope that helps.

Chris.