Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Hero 4 is still king for Cold Weather (and the wifi remote!)

[ New ]

For Cold weather (0-20 degrees Fahrenheit) The Hero 4 was victorious this past weekend- 01/11/2019 to 01/13/2019.

After doing this for a few years- you develop a few tricks to keep gaining footage throughout the day- Even the wild conversations on the lift-

1- Always put heat packs in your bag near your spare batteries or keep them in an inner pocket

2- CARRY EXTRA BATTERIES!!

3- Use a Tether- its a long fall from the lift for battery swap

4- get a sweet light weight bag with some cushion to keep your stuff with you (Keeping your backup gopro in your pocket is NOT a good idea..... Land a jump the wrong way and a gorpro to the rib cage is serious)

5- Get the Wifi remote (The remo does not like the cold...and voice commands get lost in the wind)

So after all of that- We compared a hero4 silver, hero7 black

The hero 4- with a GoPro battery fresh out of the room- roughly 55 to 70 minutes of footage at 13 degrees

The hero 4- with a Gopro battery kept in the back pack with a heat pack & GoPro back pack AHDBT-401- HELD STRONG FOR 3.5-4 hours!!!

The Hero 7- with a Gopro battery fresh out of the room 22 minutes of footage..

The Hero 7- with Gopro Battery #2 out of back pack- 18 minutes of footage.

The Wifi Remote- This lil guy held up for 3.5 hours...and then gave us another 30 minutes after i put it in my inner pocket to warm up.

Use it on the keyring attached to a pocket zipper on your Jacket or Pants- After you tap the record button- drop it to the inside of the pocket and zip it closed- This most definitely increases the battery life for the day

Now- Don't get me wrong- the Hero 7 footage is really beautiful... the whole 30 minutes of it.

The Hero 4 silver had beautiful footage as well... but ALL of it.. the good, the bad, the spills.

Backpacker

Re: Hero 4 is still king for Cold Weather (and the wifi remote!)

[ New ]

I use a Hero 7 black & a Hero 5 Session daily, but must admit when I want to do a night-lapse the old Hero 4 Black comes out of storage