Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 4 freezes / compatible micro SD

Hi there support hub!

I've been stuck for several weeks with my gopro hero 4 frezzing up a couple of seconds (usually less than 10) after turning it on.

I looked around and it seems that's a reccuring issue... My micro SD card is on your list of compatible cards (SanDisk Extreme Plus 64GB XC I) plus it worked perfectly in February when I took it skiing. It didn't have neither a fall nor a shock, I'm not exactly an extreme kinda guy.

But when I wanted to record bike rides this summer: no can do. And since then I've tried all I could : resetting the camera, formating the card, updating the camera software, ... But no. I've got what should be a great tool but I'm left with an expensive unusable version of it. :(

And since I need to sync it to my phone app to check for newer updates (who knows, maybe the latest one could help), I can't! Because the camera freezes even before the app can find it.

It has a bit more than a year I think so I'm guessing no warranty left? But honestly with only a couple of uses in anything but extreme scenarios, I shouldn't even be writing this ticket.

So what can you do to help me get it back to life?

Cheers,

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Hero 4 freezes / compatible micro SD

Sorry to hear about the freezing issue. Just to clarify, this is a user community not the GoPro Support Team so we did not create the list of compatible cards and you have not written a ticket, just posted to a forum.

You mentioned formatting your card which is a good start. Once you have done that, you should try doing a MANUAL update. https://gopro.com/update/hero4

If that doesn't work, try again but with a different SD card.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Solutions_Troubleshooting/Camera-Freezes-Up

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Sorry to hear about the freezing issue. Just to clarify, this is a user community not the GoPro Support Team so we did not create the list of compatible cards and you have not written a ticket, just posted to a forum.

You mentioned formatting your card which is a good start. Once you have done that, you should try doing a MANUAL update. https://gopro.com/update/hero4

If that doesn't work, try again but with a different SD card.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Solutions_Troubleshooting/Camera-Freezes-Up
Highlighted
Adventurer

No where did I read you formatted the card outside hte camera try that first

Highlighted
Tourist

Hi Fishycomics,

I didn't specify where I formated the card but I did both (while inside the camera and from my computer's disk utility software). :/

And the camera still freezes up when I turn it on.

Highlighted
Tourist

Oh my bad! Well then I hope some in the community can give me a few tips or have encountered (and found fixes) for the issue. :)

I'll give the manual update a go tonight, that might work.

Then I'll see and get my hands on another new micro SD card, but I hope I don't have to spend cash each time it freezes up like that.

Since I formated the card in different ways and since the camera still freezes when no card is inside, I highly suspect a software problem more than a hardware one. So I really hope the manual update will do it some good.

Will keep the post updated.

Highlighted
Explorer

Good luck, fingers crossed for you. I haven't had any issues with my Hero4 Silver but I did with my Hero3. First it was because I was using a SanDisk Ultra (terrible card). I then switched to Lexar 633x and it worked fine for about a year and then started freezing. Turns out that particular card went bad. Switched to yet another Lexar 633X. Still frozen. Updated manually and it worked. Tried the other Lexar (original that went bad) and the freezing came back. Manual updates again with the new Lexar and never have had a problem since. I still use it regularly and it's been years now.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Yes when we see ads that they put Ultra cards next to we think its a good to get, or even pixtar cards of a sales person pushing....

If hte camera is crashing with no card to me that leads to internal memory   and no firmware wil lever fix the bios,  how I look at it. IMHO

Highlighted
Tourist

I updated manually a couple of minutes ago. Thanks for the link I never noticed I still could do it that way, with all the app synching and WiFi functionalities I thought it got removed.
So far so good, the camera didn't freeze!! \o/ I'm charging the batteries for the night and I'll see if it stays that way for my morning ride.
Thanks again for the pointers!