Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Hero 4 Silver upgrade

Considering upgrading my Hero 4 Silver but wanted to confirm what support told me in that nothing I have purchased for my Hero 4 will work with any Hero 7 or 8.

From what I can see, the batteries are definitely different - so the extra batteries and charger are useless.

I have a diving mask with a GoPro mount on it - did they change that too? So any of the accessories I have won't fit the new camera? The Octomask website says it fits all GoPros, so something seems wrong there...

Finally - does the Hero 8 not require a waterproof case like the Hero 4 did? All I use camera for is snorkelling - so no great depths required.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 4 Silver upgrade

I think support were on drugs when they told you that or they were obviously hallucinating.

I have owned 3 GoPro Hero 4 blacks and I currently own 2 GoPro Hero 8's.

Yes batteries and cases are completely different so you won't be able to use those.  The GoPro 4 black also had a bus interface on the back of it for use with external screens and power packs, the GoPro Hero 8 does not have this interface so any extra's you had for the 4 that used this, also cannot be used for the 8.

However the GoPro mounts are the exact same (and they are the same across all GoPro's).  So it should work on your snorkle mask if it uses a standard mount.  So sticky mounts or anything that uses the standard mount will work.

The GoPro 8 is water proof to a certain depth, however I would get a waterproof case for it anyway just because "water proof" is a nice statement to make, but other things can affect the effective water proofing (diving for example can add extra pressure to a water proof seal therefore rendering it not as effective).  Plus it stops salt water build up on your camera.  Considering the price of a case vs the price of the camera, it's not a bad investment to protect your camera.

Hope this info helps.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Hero 4 Silver upgrade

I think support were on drugs when they told you that or they were obviously hallucinating.

I have owned 3 GoPro Hero 4 blacks and I currently own 2 GoPro Hero 8's.

Yes batteries and cases are completely different so you won't be able to use those.  The GoPro 4 black also had a bus interface on the back of it for use with external screens and power packs, the GoPro Hero 8 does not have this interface so any extra's you had for the 4 that used this, also cannot be used for the 8.

However the GoPro mounts are the exact same (and they are the same across all GoPro's).  So it should work on your snorkle mask if it uses a standard mount.  So sticky mounts or anything that uses the standard mount will work.

The GoPro 8 is water proof to a certain depth, however I would get a waterproof case for it anyway just because "water proof" is a nice statement to make, but other things can affect the effective water proofing (diving for example can add extra pressure to a water proof seal therefore rendering it not as effective).  Plus it stops salt water build up on your camera.  Considering the price of a case vs the price of the camera, it's not a bad investment to protect your camera.

Hope this info helps.