Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Hero 4 Silver not turning on or charging

My Hero 4 wont turn on or charge,

its in good condition and hasnt been used all that much, heres what ive tried so far...

Removed the battery, SD card, and any accessories. Reinsert just the battery to see if it will charge. 

Tried plugging in the camera without a battery so that it just runs on external power.

Nothing has worked so far.

any other suggestions?

Accepted Solutions
Hiker

Re: Hero 4 Silver not turning on or charging

I'd like to add my 2 cents to this one.  

This week I had the same problem with my Silver.  I was driving to work and noticed the LED wasn't blinking any more, so I knew it had stopped recording.  The camera was turned off and wouldn't turn on.  I connected a USB charger, and didn't get a Charging Indicator.

I removed the battery and reinstalled it.  That has fixed all kinds of lockup troubles before, but it didn't work this time.

When I got home I tried my other battery and charger. No dice.

I contacted Tech Support and they recommended an extended charging period with both batteries to see if the light eventually come on.  It didn't.

I left the battery out of the camera overnight.  Yesterday, just for the heck of it, I tried charging it again.  As soon as I put a battery in it, it came to life.  The LCD said it was repairing a damaged file.  It works and charged like it should.

So, maybe give that a try.  Leave the battery out overnight to see if it comes back to life the next day.  I am not certain that is why mine has rejuvenated itself, but it's free to try.  

Joe

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hi @callumo56

Thanks for trying those different troubleshooting steps. Have you by chance tried a different batter or tried your battery in a different HERO4 camera? 

I'd also recommend trying a different cable and a different power source. Just make sure that if you're plugging into a wall that the adapter you're using emits 5V and 1A. 

If those steps don't work to resolve the problem, then it will be best to reach out to the GoPro Support Team.

Let us know how everything turns out!

Hiker

I'd like to add my 2 cents to this one.  

This week I had the same problem with my Silver.  I was driving to work and noticed the LED wasn't blinking any more, so I knew it had stopped recording.  The camera was turned off and wouldn't turn on.  I connected a USB charger, and didn't get a Charging Indicator.

I removed the battery and reinstalled it.  That has fixed all kinds of lockup troubles before, but it didn't work this time.

When I got home I tried my other battery and charger. No dice.

I contacted Tech Support and they recommended an extended charging period with both batteries to see if the light eventually come on.  It didn't.

I left the battery out of the camera overnight.  Yesterday, just for the heck of it, I tried charging it again.  As soon as I put a battery in it, it came to life.  The LCD said it was repairing a damaged file.  It works and charged like it should.

So, maybe give that a try.  Leave the battery out overnight to see if it comes back to life the next day.  I am not certain that is why mine has rejuvenated itself, but it's free to try.  

Joe

Tourist

my h4s won't turn on no light no pc pick up.. is death! any suggestions? btw things like : reinsert batt.,sd,different source all done! even I tried update firm by downloading it to sd and tried put sd to gopro and turn on but nothing happened! option with leave batt. overnight out not working too... but when is plug to power source gopro getting hot ... around 30-40 degrees celsius... without any lights or beeps... thanks
Tourist

I have exactly the same problem with the same symptoms. Did you find a solution for it? Thanks.

Sightseer

Tourist

Same issue here. None of the sollutions worked for me. Batteries are charged with the external charger. Even the external battery. I have a Black by the way.

The charging light doesn't light up and I can't turn it on. I've just uses it a couple of times...

Sightseer

My hero 4 silver will turn on but it wont show anything on the screen. Also it wont let me cut it off. Any help will be nice I just bought this thing.