Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Hero 4 Silver not turning on or charging

Hi Guys, 

I have a Hero 4 Silver and have the same problem that the carmera will NOT turn on. Checked the battery (4 of them) they are all fully charged using a external battery charger. The camera will not charge them and will not work using them, but if I plug in the USB cable the camera will work. My camera is now out of warranty as it is nearly 3 years old (Cost £289) but I have had very little use out of it. I will not be buying a new one even if GOPRO have offered me a 20% discount on a new one. Support for the product when it goes wrong is only lip service. I did manage to do an Update but still not working :-( ???????

Highlighted
Anonymous

I will tell you how I solved this issue, after reading the useless indications by GoPro ("change batteries, go and plug a differenet cable,etc") and many well-intentioned advices by folks in this thread. I just dropped the (painfully expensive) gopro gadget into the rubbish bucket and bough another (not-gopro) action cam, less than half-priced and virtually as good as the gopro. For me it is clear that GoPro spoiled a lot of cameras with one of their updates, because the syntoms area suspiciously coincident: gopro 4 cams with little or no use that become useless around the beginning of 2017. Good luck.

Highlighted
Anonymous

My Hero 4 Silver won't turn on. I've tried every suggested fix, but I've had no luck so far. My camera has not been used a great dea, so it's definitely not wear and tear that's caused the problem.

Highlighted
Tourist

Try changing and reformatting the SD card. This seems to work in many cases, even if it seems to be battery problem at first.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi Guys,

Just to keep you updated with my problem after some testing I found my Hero 4 Silver only worked with the USB cable attached and all features worked. Started to look at the battery connections after some playing around putting the battery in and out, it was only the way the battery was inserted into the camera that was the problem. Poor connection between the battery and the mating connector.

So if your Hero 4 is not working try the USB cable first and if it is working test the battery connection, mine just needed a little more of a push to connect and now is working fine. Also all the batteries I have are ok as well.

Highlighted
Anonymous

The way I fixed my camera was I took the same exact charger I would normaly use to charge the camera and I cut it so you could see all the wires inside of it. Take those four wires and cut the red and the black wire so you are able to touch the medal of the wire. Plug in the cable into a port or into your computer and stick the red wire into the positive side of the battery and then put the black wire into the negative side of the battery. Keep it on the battery for 3-5 minutes. If you can check the voltage of the battery it should be around 4 volts when done. Put the battery back into the camera and turn it on. This fixed all my problems and my camera works fine. Here is a video if you dont understand what I said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSYxUp4spsc     

Now it does say gopro hero 3 but it works for all gopros I have a 4 and it worked fine for me. Sooooo hoped this helped out with your problems and gopro will never tell you to do this.

this is how I fix my dead go pro hero3 silver edition, sorry for my English I have some mistakes in the description but few, you will understand the main id...
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Hero 4 Black! Not turning on or charging

[ Edited ]

I'm having the same problem haven't used it for awhile going to Thailand and it's frustrating that so many are having the same problem! Hero 4 Black

Highlighted
Tourist

Try a different SD card, a different usb cable and different charger. If possible try different battery.
And all combinations of the above.

Most of the people seem to get the problem solved with TF card change or reformat.
Different cable / charger seems to be another popular solution.
Less often it seems to be crooked battery issue.