Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Hero 4 Silver and Hero 5 Black don't output 1080i over HDMI -- causes incompatibility with ATEM 1M/E

Hi @mattb,

I moved this discussion to its own thread, since the generic "HDMI Output" thread has three different topics going on now on it.

This post is about the GoPro 4 and GoPro 5 not properly outputting 1080i whtn the display device does not support 1080p.  This worked properly with the GoPro 3+ Black (and probably earlier cameras), but something broke with the Hero4 firmwares.  As a result, these cameras can't be used in a Live Switch environment where the switcher only supports 1080i, like the BMD ATEM 1M/E.

I just created a short video documenting and demonstrating the test and problem... maybe it'll be helpful?

https://youtu.be/CSUOBWh7tLQ

I'd be VERY much appreciative if you could share this with your team internally and have them re-inspect the code.. something which used to work properly with the Hero3+Black isn't working properly now with the Hero4 and Hero5 cameras.

Thanks!

:-) Rob

We've been successfully integrating the GoPro 3+ Black Edition camera in our ATEM 1 M/E live switch events for two years. Coupled with the Nyrius Aries Pro w...
Highlighted
Anonymous

Re: Hero 4 Silver and Hero 5 Black don't output 1080i over HDMI -- causes incompatibility with ATEM

Experiencing this exact same issue, although our HD-SDI converter box is the AJA HA-5.  Would really like to hear some tangible solutions from GoPro, as we've purchased 2 units.  Thanks!

jpb

Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Hero 4 Silver and Hero 5 Black don't output 1080i over HDMI -- causes incompatibility with ATEM

Any updates on this from GoPro?

The response I'm looking for is "thanks for doing the testing Rob; our engineers have found the bit of code which broke and this will be fixed in the next firmware release for the Hero 4 and Hero 5, which will be released [insert date here]"

:-) hopefully,
Rob
Highlighted
Hiker

Could someone from GoPro please assist here?

@jefft.. ?

@mattb... ?

Matt indicated 1080i output should be working according to his internal contacts.  Watch my video -- I've tested this -- it does not.  

I see from the threads that the Hero 5 is having a bunch of roll-out stability issues that I'm sure is keeping your team busy, but this bug/issue is close to my heart and keeping me and many other professionals from being able to use your newer products with our gear.

Highlighted
Hiker

Please?  

I've done the work to demonstrate the issue (see video), I sure would appreciate a fix.

Highlighted
Hiker

<poke>

@jefft... @mattb  ?

I've got a few gigs coming up and I'd love to see this addressed in the next update.

Help?

Highlighted
Hiker

UPDATE:  Still not working, but did a few more tests, so I'm adding info here.

1. DIFFERENT HDMI CABLE -- I've tested with two different HDMI cables, same result with each.  Plug in GoPro 3 Black and I get the image -- plug into the Hero 4 Silver or Hero 5 Black and get nothing.

2. I turned off the rear display on the Hero4 and Hero5 before making the connection (even though they turn black anyway if I don't) -- no difference

3. On the HERO5, I made sure the OUTPUT was set to "LIVE" -- still no output

4. Confirming the cameras ARE outputting *something* over HDMI -- with both cables, I plugged the cameras directly into my monitor (instead of the ATEM) and got a picture on the screen with all cameras

5. 60p vs 30p -- I tested the hookup into the ATEM with the cameras set to both 108060p and 108030p, no difference.  The Hero 3+ Black displayed on the ATEM in both settings; the Hero 4 and Hero 5 displayed nothing

6. Tested with 720p (which the ATEM supports) -- I reconfigured the ATEM to be 720p instead of 1080i -- all three GoPro cameras displayed the picture properly on the ATEM, confirming the cable is OK and cameras ARE outputting over HDMI.  

CONCLUSION:   Based on my observations and testing, the Hero4 and Hero5 have a bug in their HDMI implementation which prevent it from outputing 1080i when the plugged in HDMI device only supports 1080i (and not 1080p)

Highlighted
Anonymous

I just want to say that I find it absolutely unacceptable that GoPro support has not responded or even acknowledged your posts. I have the same issue and I can't believe there is no solution. Shameful.